1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

p0332 knock sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Apr 6, 2010.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

ok so lately it has been one thing after another with my truck:mad: the other day the SES light came on i got it to auto zone and they gave me the p0332 knock sensor code my question is what one of the two knock sensors would set the code if you can tell from the code. and how important is it to change the knock sensor i know it has to be fixed but is it something i can let go for awhile and get around to it later and lastly could somebody tell me what it is the knock sensor actually does thanks in advance

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I would go on the side of pretty important to replace. Knock sensors monitor engine knock or ping. Using piezoelectrics, which when impacted to eachother, produce a voltage. The voltage produced is monitored by the PCM, and when it varies, the computer can adjust the ignition timing to prevent ping. Older vehicles without variable valve timing (VVT) set a check engine light when there is an irregularity.

As for the p0332, that would be the rear knock sensor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  3. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

generally, it is the rear knock sensor hole that fills up with water and causes that code. Usually a good idea to replace both sensors at once when you're in there ( they're not that expensive ). You will have to take off the intake to access them. (I'm assuming that this truck is newer than '99 with a 4.8 or a 5.3)

4. plowin207

plowin207 Member

ya its an 01 with a 4.8