1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

P0304 code help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WOODY367, Dec 2, 2015.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 99 Yukon and was on a road trip, when I was going up hill in the mountains the service engine light can on flashing and then steady. I put the code reader on and came up with code P0304 " #4 misfire" I cleared the code and it was fine all week. I took the same route home and when I was going uphill in the same place the light came on again with the same code. Any thoughts what it might be?
  2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

3. unior

unior Member

Could be a lot of things. Spark plug, wires, coil pack, valve damage.
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Faulty spark plug wire
    Faulty coil (pack)
    Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    Faulty fuel injector
    Burned exhaust valve
    Running out of fuel
    Poor compression
    Defective computer

I would pull # 4 plug and have a look.
  5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys, I will check it out this weekend. It is running fine now it just happened when going up the mountain on my 650 mile trip. I was 500 miles into it when it append.I oly did a full tune up 40,000 mules ago. This truck only has the 1 coil on the HEI distributor.
  6. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

As soon as I get any misfire codes I change everything... Cap,rotor,coils if more than one or individual. Nothing more I hate worse than chasing down bad coils etc.... Another thing is a bad intake gasket can cause misfire codes as well, Just had this happen on a ford pickup and never knew it could.