1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oxy acetylene: School Me!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SharpBlades, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I've finally had it trying to heat bolts with a little propane or map torch, and I'm ready to graduate to a oxy acetylene setup :mechanic:

The only problem I have is I don't know what I need... I know I need something bigger than the port-a-torch from harbor freight, but other than that I need some help.

I'm mainly looking for a torch I can use to heat up seized bolts. Should I be looking for a cutting torch or welding? What size tip? What brand or style is best?

Tank size? I know I don't have a need for monster tanks, but I don't want to run out all the time either What size should I get?... Should I rent or buy the tanks? (I know it can be different depending on where you live) How much will gas cost me in general?

Regulators?... Flashback arrestors?... :dizzy:

I would prefer to save some money by buying used, so is there anything specific I should look for? or should I just bite the bullet and go all new?

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You don't need too big of a torch for heating. Even just look at "kits" -- many come with a welding/brazing tip as well as a cutting tip. The cutting tip will generally throw a bigger and more dispersed flame that will be better for heating up a larger area rather than a concentrated flame from a welding tip. I generally use the cutting setup for heating, but whatever you do, don't hit the cutting valve handle, or you might cut instead of heat.

3. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

the set up for cutting/welding has a handle that the tips can be changed on, there is also a rose bud tip for the heavy duty heating of frozen parts. the bigger the torch handle the bigger the tips you can get. the welding tips also come in different sizes. best place to check is your local welding supply they also could tell you the cost of the tanks that are needed, and then if you want to save a few bucks you could always go to one of the hardware or box stores with your knowledge and purchase there.

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Something else to consider too, your bottle size, if you are going to be using it a lot and you buy small bottles, the cost of filling those small bottles sometimes out weighs the cost of renting a much bigger bottle, and having it filled, the price per cubic foot really multiplies with small bottles, also you will use way more oxygen than acetylene, you could buy a small bottle of acetylene and rent the oxygen bottle,

5. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Victor sells some nice little kits that include a couple cutting tips and a rosebud. Talk to your gas supplier before you decide on what size bottle to get and see what sizes they will sell or rent.

You only need 80cf but if you have to pay rent on an 80cf when you could own a 140cf then it makes sense to go bigger. My gas supplier only fills certain sizes for customer owned bottles and the other sizes you can only rent.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014