1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

owners of ARCTIC products

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Any one out there has an arctic pusher? What size, what machine and how do you charge with it?

I would be using a BOBCAT S205.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im kinda interested in this myself.. what do you guys think... i see lots of good things, and lots of bad...

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

60 skids??!!

That is more than my whole town put together. Including new, used and guys owning them - WOW!

5. grandview

And I forgot they sell them all every year and buy new ones.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just bought 3 of them.

J.

7. grandview

And/ How about some details if you don't mine.

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Ok.

Picked them up used. Looked at them last season, but decided that the price was a bit more then I wanted to spend then.

While looking I got a real nice demo, and they ARE the real deal!.. Down to pavement every pass, even in hard pack. So, I contacted the local dealer, who is a full time business competitor of mine, whom I don't like, Got his opinion. went and looked again. Talked to his head mechanic. Liked what I heard about the maintance aspects and long term performance.

Bought 3 used 10ft at a nice rate.

With the way these work, you will use less melter because you can clean down to the pavement. thus reducing your salt prices.

Even with all the moving parts, the mechanic said they only replaced 4 to 5 of the rubber blocks on all thier units. They do however go through cutting edges fairly quick, but last year here was a bit crazy.

The dealer also runs something like 15 to 20 of these ranging from 10 to 16ft.

J.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll let you know how my 12 and 14ft work this winter. I'm glad Peterbilt likes them.:drinkup:

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The "Seeing it work part" is what sold me. I mean the video is pretty cool, but live, you have to see it to believe it.

Another thing that is nice, is that since it "Floats" it reduces box drag, and keeps all the wheels on the ground. With other pushers you have severe box drag, resulting in loss of power unit power. These don't do that. and by not doing that, you can have smaller power units pushing the box.

J.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah the vid is pretty cool, but GV fell in love with the owners wife at Sima.:drinkup:

12. grandview

Maybe so,but you fell harder because you bought 2!:D

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No comment. LOL

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Well lucky you, I bought mine from a fat bald guy.

J.

15. grandview

Could be the husband.Jd you still may have a chance!:rolleyes:

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

LMAO. Now that was funny.

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

well thats good to know, please keep me posted this year... i like the idea... but in recent years my thinking has generally been towards less moving parts, and a simpliar design... i was also wondering about the fact that you cant use a "down pressure" so how well do they clean the hard pack? i get the idea of it ridding in the low spots, but if the hard pack is on a high spot, now there is less weight , and no down pressure scrapping it.. only the 350 odd lbs?

well let me know your thoughts this season,.. if any one has 2 machines , one artic , and one regular with a steel edge.. it would be interesting to see a compairison between the two.... is it noticeable , and worth the extra cost , clearly?

one other thing i was consernded with was no bracing for the boxed ends

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The box ends can't have bracing because they float over curbs allowing you to clean flush with the curb. 14 of my pushers all have spring loaded end plates and I wouldn't go back to braced end plates. Also if you have the right attack angle on your cutting edge, you don't need down pressure, we run all our tractors in float when plowing and have not had a problem with hard pack. We'll see how these things work this winter and I'll post a thread of my findings.

19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think the problem that people have here ie that they try and second guess what the builder of a product is going for.

Have you seen this product work? Have you operated one? I have and like I said its the real deal.

J.

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

i dont second guess the manu. and the concept... but its been proven over and over ...less moving parts , less problems, for the most part...

i have some , but limited experiance with pushers, but i can weld.. it would seem to me if a hard hit would occur , welding is a pretty simple fix...

this is made to "take the blow" or rather avoid it.... what happens to those bow ends if they hit a curl on an angle? not being braced? to they bend to the side? just asking questions, from a simplicity stand point....

never used the product , but interested in it for the future