1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overweight truck

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Mar 13, 2015.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

CT has some tandem plow trucks with front plows and wing plows on both sides. When loaded with salt, are these trucks over? I've always been curious
  2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

They are above the law
  3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

^^^^what he said
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

most of them are built for over the 80,000 lb limit
  5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

They may be built heavy but they're all over on axle wt according to the law.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Until they injure or kill someone.

Exactly, and they are legal until there is an issue, as I mentioned above.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Even if there are issues the municipalities will spin it into being the citizens fault. Gotta love government
  8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see how they can legally get 80,000 on 3 axles.
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I believe it's 64,000 on dumps, at least with a tag axle.
  10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

In Ontario the highway traffic act says municipal snowplow vehicles are exempt from any weight and width restrictions
  11. pythons37

pythons37 Junior Member
    from NH

Salt is not very heavy.
  12. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

In New York if the truck has wing plow its at its weight limit but they still load it till the salt spills over every side
  13. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Its not? How much is it a yard?
  14. pythons37

pythons37 Junior Member
    from NH

2,160 pounds for road salt.
    2,840 pounds for sand.( Dry )
    4,000 pounds for concrete.
  15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Actually, I believe in CT they have special laws regarding their plows. It's been 30 years but at one time, all vehicles and pedestrians have to be at a complete stop when there is a state DOT plow in operation. It was a very expensive lesson learned. I don't drive in CT anymore if I can avoid it
  16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

This I can promise you.

My father was broadsided by a state car that ran a stop sign. He was injured, they said they would not pay.

Sort of like my rules at work.

1. The Boss is always right.

2. If the Boss is wrong, refer to rule number one.
  17. fireside

fireside Senior Member

A little backround into CT dot. In 1987 in west haven a Ct dot truck roll over coming off I95 north at exit 42 on Campbell ave. The truck rolled over with a full load of mix on top of a car killing the driver of the car. The truck was found to be over weight as were all the dot's trucks. At the time they ran their trucks with side boards than loaded above that. 4 days after the accident all sideboards were removed and number of buckets was clearly spelled out. Do to it not being followed this is what they did next. If you now notice ALL ct dot truck run with NO sideboards on short height bodies. by doing that they are unable to over load them it just falls off the truck. all are now under GVW when loaded.

The tandems you are talking about all have short height bodies and no side boards. the rumor is fully loaded with fuel they come in at 62k and are rated at 69k. Ct dot does pay close attention to trucks being overloaded. It's the towns that concern me more look at how they load!!

In ct the dot trucks/local DPW are exempt from ALL laws governing normal commercial trucking. Just as fire trucks are in this state.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  18. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

We just had it on the news, there were quite a few incidents where peoples cars were totaled by the munis and the gvt said they won't pay anything for it
  19. LON

LON Senior Member

PA law states that municipal trucks are considered emergency vehicles during snow & ice removal and are exempt from all overweight / oversize laws.
    The Commonwealth of PA is considered No-Fault when it comes to insurance issues.
    Back probably 10yrs ago my father was rear-ended by a PENN-DOT tractor trailer that caused $38,000.00 in damage to our truck. Our corporate attorney said only recourse with the state is to sue the driver. We knew it wasn't the drivers fault but the fault of the state on a horrible section of road that would become extremely slippery when it got wet. There were 13 accidents on the same 1/2 mile section of road the morning he got hit.
  20. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Most government agencies will have over weight allowances when performing snow and ice control. However, I agree 100% with what Mark said. And if courts are siding with overweight trucks in accidents because they are DOT they are wrong. Personally my trucks are built with heavier suspensions but my internal department policy specifically states the amount of salt allowed in them. Now having said that, a driver that starts out with 8 tons, uses let's say 1.5 tons and comes back and puts another bucket in his truck (2 tons), yes he's a bit over but our loader does not have a scale in it. At that point that 500lbs should not have an adverse effect on the trucks ability to be handled in an accident situation. Now take the same situation and have the truck start with 8 tons, use 1 and come back and add 4 more. That is irresponsible and lazy and not tolerated.