1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overweight permit for ny

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowplower1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Can anybody in NY tell me if I would be able to get an over weight permit for my 2015 f350? Gvwr is only 10,400 and I emailed dot to see if there is any way I could get another 1000 with an overweight permit. If anybody has experience with this, that would be much appreciated.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

No you can't get a permit for more than your gvw.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Registered gvw. I've got pickups registered at 26k, F350

4. snowplower1

You're overweight if you are putting more than the gvwr on the door sticker. I'm not messing around with the dot I can make due with what I have now but would be more comfortable if I can find a legal way to get more in the truck

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

overweight permit is for over 80000lbs, but the truck must be rated for the weight you file for,

why overload and put the wear and tear on something you need to do do the job, makes for more breakdowns

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

x2 I agree

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I knew of a guy in NY that had dual wheels and some spring added to a F250 with a dump box off a F350. The work was done professionally in Rochester somewhere. which was very reasonable.

He did get the truck rated higher and had to be inspected by a state official. I do know you can not get a permit for over the rated GVW. If I can catch up with him I will find out how he did it.

8. snowplower1

DOT emailed back and said the truck has to have a minimum of 3 axles to put an overweight permit on. I'll just have to live with what i have and make two runs and hope this year goes well enough to buy a 550 or likewise to start getting away from having salters in the plow trucks.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Here ya go.....

facebook_14488398430981.jpg

10. snowplower1

Yeah maybe then I can buy an even bigger salter :nod:
    Seriously though, I would probably buy a 550 this year if we had somewhere to store it but we're working on owning our own shop soon. Hopefully it happens because renting out space holds us back from being able to do so much more like have larger pieces of equipment

11. leolkfrm

watch the highway auctions...some decent trucks went thru earlier in the year

12. leolkfrm

check out teitsworth online auction...trucks are up your way

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Roy Teitsworth is okay to buy equipment bought some stuff. Auctionsinternational is better, They represent the equipment a little better. Meaning announcing issues better.

14. snowplower1

Cool thanks guys, I'll definitely check these out and see if I can't find something suitable

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I just come from www.auctionsinternational.com because I'm watching some wheel loaders. There is a bunch of F550 one with spreader some with plows some without. You do know the bigger medium duty like a ford 7000 or 8000 or IHC 1900 series can be bought much more reasonable.

The f550 are more desirable because of the masons and landscapers. Check it out you will like the pricing. You can talk to the highway superintendent or mechanic. I bought a good amount of equipment from this site.

They are pretty good about announcing issues. Some may need a little reconditioning but at least you are aware of it and bid accordingly. Its better than spending 50 to 60k.

16. leolkfrm

cool site...thanks, will be checking it also

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Let me know if you have any ?'s about the site.

18. snowplower1

That's a sweet site. Definitely gonna be looking into those for dumps and that type. For dumps I feel you never really need to buy new unless under certain circumstances. They run so long