1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CK82, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I am sure of the legal answer, but I am curious how you guys operate. Do your guys make overtime for anything over 8 hrs. while plowing? Is it required by law (I would assume its the same as any other job being worked over 8hrs.)? I am curious how this works,since my guys rarely get 40hrs. in per week.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Last I knew you only had to pay overtime over 40 a week
  3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

All the guy's around here pay us as sub contractors, and there normal summer employees normally are on unemployment so they get a cash payment.. I wouldn't think you need to worry about it unless they are over 40 hours and are a normall employee on the time clock.
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I remember hearing somewhere but not sure where to verify but you can go up to 43 hours before overtime is paid. Please don't quote me on that.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The laws are the laws... Check with your state to find out what the rules are. We can all give our opinions and tell stories of how to skirt the laws, but how about just following the rules.
    I see you are from WI, if you're having problems finding the information on the laws, PM me and I'll give you the link for our state.
  6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

There is a local excavator around my area that has been paying time & a half to his full time employees for all snow plowing hours. I think he does this as incentive for his guys seeing they don't see alot of hours in winter. It probably also raises employee morale.

Personally, I pay my employees OT only after 40 hours/ week, which is law. Very few, usually only union employees or those competeing closely with the union, receive OT after 8 hours around my area.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We pay our employees their overtime rate for all snow work they do.
  8. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

My hourly wage rates to my employees are higher than there summer rates, as well as I give bonuses from time to time. I will check my state website, just dont have the time to read there entire website to most likely find not the full answer to my question. I realize over 40hrs. in a week has to be paid overtime. I'm not sure though if over 8hrs. in a day requires the same. I know guys who work 4 10hr. days and do not collect unemployment. I guess the state website may be best to figure this out.

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

CK-82, paying overtime after 8 hours is YOUR decision. You don't have to pay overtime by law for 12 hours, for example. I think that benefit was negotiated by a union years age, as many still use it.
  10. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I know in VT year round empl. need time and a half for over 40 hrs but sesonal empl. you are not required to pay OT