1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overloaded ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TritonSnownIce, Nov 6, 2006.

1. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

Will I be overloading my F350 with a Western Ice breaker 8' and 2.5 yards of course salt ??
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm not sure, but most 1500 owners will tell you they can carry that weight with no problems...:D lol
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

you bet ya!!!:waving: :waving:
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The sander is probably about 1100lbs, then you are going to put about another 7500 lbs into it for a grand total of 8600 lbs. Now you need to open the door and see what the GVWR is(11500lbs +/-) and subtract the Tare(weight of the truck empty, most likely 7000lbs +/-) which would leave you 4500 lbs +/- of legal carrying capacity. That would put you at about 4100 lbs overweight.

You didn't mention anything about a plow, if you are carrying one you need to include theweight of that as well.
  5. TritonSnownIce

My Western ice Breaker is only 700# and coarse salt is about 1400# per yard thats only
  6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

numbers seem a little off. salter can't be that much.
  7. TritonSnownIce

I went to the Western site and located my spreader on the spec sheet. 700# and if you go to the ice mngt. forum you will see that Mick posted the weight of coarse salt at roughly 1400# per yard. ( Weight of Salt Thread )
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Are you using bul or bagged? IF bulk, is it covered always?

Salt can be as little as 1400# per ton, but it can also be around 2500# per ton, depending on moisture content. I usually figure 1 yard of salt is 1 ton, for an average.

I thought BigDog's post was most eloquent. I agree, even with the lower spreader weight, you're going to be overloaded.
  9. TritonSnownIce

Covered bulk salt is what I am running.
  10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well by my math a spreader at 700# 2.5 yrds dry at 1400 each yard adds 3500# along with a plow around #700 for a grand total of 4900# . I don't think that truck can carry that much weight, not to mention will it stop like it should? Also don't let a weigh master stop you and put you on the scale's, that will be a nice fine. The bigger question is why not make two trips for salt and not overload your truck? It is better to be safe than sorry, what happens if you can't stop in time and rear end someone who is very seriously injured or even die's. Don't think a lawyer won't have a field day with that. So the bigger thing to think about is it worth the risk? Only you can answer that question.

Good Luck Mike
  11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

See where I said probably? I wasn't certifying this thing, Iwas trying to show you how to figure it out and was using approximates. Based on the original post it seemed as the poster didn't have a clue as to how to figure it out and was showing the process of how to do it. The 2.5 yd Torwell sanders we run weigh approximately 1100lbs and that is what I was basing it on. I didn't catch the coarse salt part and wasn't sure that he was using it straight, I just used the "standard" 1.5 tons per yard for bulk materials to figure it out on.

Teach me for trying to help someone!:dizzy:
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, dipstick. Just stop would ya?

With covered bulk, you are at the mercy of your supplier whether they have it covered on the dock or not. See my above figures, I'd still stick with about a ton per yard just to be safe.

One other thing. We had an older 1 ton Dodge with a tailgate spreader that was our first real salt spreader. We regularly overloaded it, which I hate to admit because it was stupid, and we paid for it in the long run with a lot of extra repairs. Fortunately never had an accident with it. Ever since then, I have made it a point to get the right equipment for the job. I'm not saying we never overload anymore, but no more than a 1000 #'s.

PS One of our salters comes in at over a ton. I would have guessed approximately the same.
  13. TritonSnownIce

The sticker on my truck says . GVW 11,400 # my truck empty weighs 7500#
  14. TritonSnownIce

My truck empty weighs 7500 #. If I add 3500# for unit and salt, that comes out to 11,000 #

My GVW sticker on the door says 11,400
  15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Then you are ok as long as the salt weighs in at 1400# a ton, if its wet or the guy loading gets a large bucket then you will be overloaded. Is it the end of the world, no but you do need to manage your risk.

Regards Mike
  16. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

When i was stopped last year in a F550 with a 5yard V box loaded i was over GVWR on the truck but under by the plate. I was given a pass by the cop with a warning. He told me i did the right thing by plating high. He could only write me a ticket for "unsafe vehicle" which was an "equipment violation" and only $75. I realize that at #23000 i was really pushing the truck BUT it handled it just fine.
  17. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Does your truck have a plow on it too? Don't forget to add your own weight and anything else that you might be carrying with you. leaving 400 pounds of "wiggle room" doesn't seem like much.
  18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Hate to say it, I leave the house with 4g's plus tailgate spreader in back, 82 vee in the front - drives like a low ridin caddy...........

I drop 1500# right away and gradually lose the rest thru the night.

Overloaded? Oh yea. Does it stop?? Oh yea.... And it'll move moutains......

Do I own em for more than two years? Oh no.............

It certainly isn't the right thing to do by any means and I am looking for warehouse space in town for storage to have lighter loads, but I have to do what I have to do.....

F350, supercab diesel - If you see a 2005 Black Lariet on the used car lot this summer, walk away.................
  19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

You could consider airlift airbags in the rear. I overload all year long with them. Also take a look at the municipal trucks in a snowstorm, they are totally slammed driving through town. a lot of time you can get away with it in a snowstorm. And trading every couple years is a kind of a must in this line of work, in my opinion. So if you see black XLTs, walk away also.
  20. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Please don't confuse Fords recommended GVWR with the LAW in your state. Last I knew Ford didn't make the weight laws in ANY state. That rating is for a standard of performance & is sometimes used to limit Warranty claims. It isn't SAFETY related nor does it have any Legal status.