1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overloaded Trucks Everywhere!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duplantisjj, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I'm sure glad I found this site! I never would have known about Timbrens or other little helping hints. :waving:

As the winter season gets more underway here in Anchorage I am seeing so many overloaded rigs with either too much plow or not enough truck. Mainly it's overloaded Chevys.....seen an old older half ton Chevy with an old fisher V-Plow...that front end was 3" off the ground at best. :eek: Seen gobs of half tons with 8' plows, and definitely no suspension help. Looks very dangerous :dizzy: How they even get around?? Or plow for that matter?

Actually had a guy flag me at a light and ask how did I get my Chevy to sit up so well with the plow...I said Timbrens and he had that blank deer in the headlight stare. I said, get on net and go to plowsite.com... :nod:

Anybody else seeing unbelievable rig setups popping up in their area?
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know who sets up these chevys that i always see riding on the ground, but something needs to be done on the part of the dealer at that point. I would think a plow installer would try to convince the owner to beef up the front end, i don't know how you could stand the truck dropping so much. They are always chevys though, i saw 2 today with plows mounted that were sagging badly.First and foremost, why would you even consider mounting your plow on a day like today (sunny and 60)? Its supposed to snow late tommrrow night *maybe* some accumlation. This is what i mean with people asking for trouble, don't put the plow on until its necessary. My plows will be mounted shortly before the expected change over late tommrrow afternoon. I moved them around today, to get them redy to line right up if and when i need them tommrrow.
  3. Overloaded can be very bad at times. I belive it can be worse on the truck than anything else like the roads. Once in a while is ok with me thou. :waving:
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Why don't the guys with the nosediving Chevy's just trade them in for Ford's? :cool: :cool: :cool: Just a joke don't flame throw me.
  5. I have a chevy 3500 and when I lift my plow, it lowers it about 1-3/4" - 2". Do you think this is too much :confused: or is it about standard :help:
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I would recommend getting a set of timbrens. Just take them off in the off season. :waving:
  7. What would you consider the normal drop when the plow is lifted :salute:
  8. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Front-end sag !!!

I have a f-250, when I lift my plow my front-end drops about a half to three quarters of a inch. I have seen a lot of Chevy's with that front-end sag. That is one of the many reasons I own FORD !!! :waving:
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It is not sagging because it is a chevy. It is sagging because the trucks come from the factory with the torsion bars turned down for a soft ride and increase mileage. Then of course from vehicle to vehicle the amount of sag will depend on combined factors.

Model of truck
    Axle weights.
    Weight of plow

I run a GMC and 810 (950lbs.) with torsion bars turned up five turns. Sits up level with plow off and little drop with it on.
  10. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

The Boss:

Why would you recommend taking off the timbrens in the off season?, and

Bolts Indus.:

I noticed you have a GMC Truck with the Blizzard snow plow on there. So you have a diesel engine on your GMC? I have a diesel on my '01 Ram and have been looking at putting a plow on mine. I have been looking at the Blizzard plow, model 810, but am not sure if it can be done. I called a dealer in Michigan and he said that it can be done without a problem. But the weight of the plow seems like it would go over the manufacturers FGAWR of 5200 lbs. The other thing I am wondering though is if I add a ballast weight to the rear of the truck, will that compensate for the heavy plow to the front and keep me under my FGAWR? If you could shine some light on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

11. Bolts Indus.

I have a big block gas. Here is how I see it. The diesel comes with stiffer torsion bars/springs to start with. This should make the gas and diesel load rating equal before install. Did an 04 chev diesel the other day. No problem, carrys it well and he is a big commercial guy who knows his plows. I have not done a Dodge diesel yet. Not to get you upset but it is recognized by dealers that Dodge have a little weaker front end. Meaning you could expect to maybe up your suspension, wear out more ball joints etc. Hope this does not offend you. If you have a plow on it now then raise it and get two big men to stand on it to see how it will carry. Not scientific but it works. The ballast will help.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  12. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

You mentioned turning up the torsion bar on the chevy about 5 clicks or so to stiffen it up. Do you know if there is anything like that on the Dodge. Also any recommendations on beefing up my suspension to the front if that is the case on Dodges front end being a bit weeker. I'm not offended by the way. Just will have to keep researching on plows for my truck. Also is Blizzard thinking of having a handheld controller like Boss or Western makes for there plows. I ask because I have a 6-speed manual with mine and it would be pretty difficult I think to try and control all those buttons with the seat mount that comes with the blizzard 810 plow. Also what do you sell the 810, 860HD, & 800HD for? Thanks.
  13. The Boss

The timbrens will stiffen up the ride quite a bit. I added a spring to each side of mine and took care of the drop problem. It also raised the front of the truck about 3 inches.
  14. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

you could look for a wrecked 1 ton dodge of the same body style and swith the front springs. that is what i did on my 95 to get it to sit level.
  15. Bolts Indus.

Yes blizzard has a touch pad. I like the Joy stick.
    My prices would not be relevant to your area.
  16. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Thanks guys
  17. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I noticed absolutely no difference in the ride when I had Timbrens installed on my 02 Chevy 1500 Silverado. It wasn't till I cranked up the Tbars three turns that things stiffened up for me.

18. The Boss

I wasn't talking about a chevy. I was talking about a Ford diesel. I used to have a 2001 Chevy 2500Hd and it was pure junk. :nod: Nothing but problems with it. I too cranked the torsion bars on it and had to get an alignment. I'll never own another chevy truck in my life after that experience. :nono:
  19. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Got Timbrens on mine...ride isn't bad at all..a little stiff but not bad...the truck drops about a half inch with the plow raised, also not bad. No need to crank my T bars yet, my truck is still fairly new and the Timbrens seem to do their job well. :nod:
  20. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I put a progressive coil spring under my 1997 Dodge 1500 and they dont stiffen until I put my plow on so I am able to keep my original soft ride while the plow is off which is nice. With the plow on it only drops 1/2 inch. very nice and I dont have the stiff ride you guys with the 1 ton springs.