1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overload light problems

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by archer39, Jan 28, 2009.

1. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

Well i have have problems with the overload light coming on when plowing or just sitting there with the touchpad on. When i reset the power to the touch pad it goes out and i can plow for a little bit. I have check and cleaned all the the connections to the valves, battery (ground and power) and the touch pad. They are all clean and moisture free.

about a week ago the plow would not go up, down, left or right so i run a jumper wire to the ground and it worked good. So i replaced the wire with a direct wire to the battary. the next i got the overload light again.

So today i dealt with resetting the power all day and it worked but annoying. Untill i got and and did my own place. It got stuck down and would not come up. I though could put direct power to the coil (black) and it would lift. No luck, but i got in the truck and the touch pad worked again. Have not plowed with it but it worked sitting there.

Today i switched out a touch pad with a friends and it worked fine but again i did not plow with just sat there and lifted and turned.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this??? BTW i just rebuilt the pump and a new motor put on. Also is there supposed to be a gap between the bottom of the of the a coil and the pump base?

sorry for being so long winded.

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Sounds like it could be a bad controller. I have heard thats how they go when I was trouble shooting a similiar problem.

3. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

is there any way to test them. don't want to spend 200 bucks on one and not have it be the problem.

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Make sure your system is grounded properly. I'm not that familar with the touch pads but I have read some articles that if the system strains it will cause the overload to come on. Many times a bad solenoid or loose ground will cause it to strain. I would start there.

5. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

I have a brand new direct ground from the motor to the battery. I have new style motor (two post) on an old e-60, do i have to have the pump grounded like the original old style motor was set up. Also have a brand new ground strap from battery to the block. The solenoid seems to be fine and in good condition. but is only grounded via the screws and screwed on the the metal fender.

6. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I am going to have to wait and let the experts chime in here. Yes there is a way to test it. It involves jumping the wires. As to how I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will speak up soon.

7. f250meyers

f250meyers Junior Member

i also have been having overload light problems, but what is weird is that is VERY intermittent and not all touch pads have this light, is there a way to override it??

8. f250meyers

f250meyers Junior Member

oh, and yes there is supposed to be a gap on the A-coil, depending on which valve u are using there is a 3/8 stem version(really small nut) or another one where the threads are about the diameter of a #2 pencil, and yes u are supposed to ground the motor and the pump with the the bolt on the back the way it originally was

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely you do need it as otherwise the coils are dependent on receiving ground through the connection point between the motor, sump base and valve block. Lacking that ground will without doubt cause the kind of issues your having. Make yourself up a jumper cable from the neg motor stud to the original ground location on the sump base.

10. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

thanks,i will give it a try today.