1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheating?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vino350, Nov 1, 2008.

1. vino350

vino350 Junior Member

tonight while driving my 2004 2500hd 6.0L i noticed that my coolant temp shot up to 235 almost 240...the truck has never been over 210. put the heater on and it got down to around 225 but it wouldnt go back down the entire night. any suggestions? clutch fan? thermostat?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Search "plow prep" or "fan clutch" here in the Chevy truck forum. You'll find hours of reading on this very, very, common issue. :waving:

3. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

fan clutch

4. vino350

vino350 Junior Member

well went out this morning and got a heavy duty clutch fan and put it on had to heat and beat the nut off but got it off and that fixed it. truck runs 195 now. thanks again guys!wesport

5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

How difficult was the clutch to replace?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the correct fan clutch wrench, or a very big crescent wrench it's a 10 minute job. Only think you need to remove is the upper half of the fan shroud.

7. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

Get the correct tool. makes life allot easier.

8. vino350

vino350 Junior Member

all i did was remove the upper fan shroud...and the kit i loaned from autozone didnt have the right wrench. so i had a torch heated up the nut and had a pry bar and a hammer and kept hitting it till she loosened up. ull need a strap wrench to hold the pulley if u have the right wrench all n all an easy job.

9. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Dealer replaced mine, under warranty, that was even easier. Only complaint now is you here the fan almost all the time. Maybe that will quit when its broke in.

10. vino350

vino350 Junior Member

my truck wasnt under warrenty anymore and i wasnt paying the rates of a dealership to replace it...couple hand tools and its cake. and mine isnt too bad i only hear it when the truck is cold.sounds like a flexfan, as soon as it warms up i dont even hear the fan,

11. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I have a 1996 chevy DIESEL 2500 pick up. I just put the plow on today ( 7.6 ft blizzard LT )
    The truck started overheating on the way home.
    I\ve read alot about gas jobs overheating, but not so much about the diesels.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS ??????? & We're expecting snow in 2 days.