1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joshwht, Feb 27, 2005.

1. joshwht

joshwht Junior Member
    from MA

I have an 83 F150 with a 7 1/2' Fisher and the truck overheats when traveling. Because it is an older truck it just has a manual fan clutch. I was wondering if anyone knows how to keep these cooler. I don't know if I should change the fan. Thanks for any input.
    - Josh

2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

almost any truck can overheat when the radiator is blocked with the plow. even my new chevy 04
    i am thinking of adding a fin to direct the air down into the radiator. saw it on a patent web site once.

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

1. Try putting the plow into different positions while traveling down the road.
    2. Try different speeds during transport to find one that does not get so hot.
    3. Crank up your heater and open your windows for additional cooling.

All the way up and slightly to the right seemed to work the best on my old Ford.

The rubber deflector flap on the top of the plow would stand straight up in the wind and block the radiator.
    A bungee holding it down worked good for transport in the summer.

4. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Id play with the plow positions, see if you can situate it so you can avoid blocking the points where the air comes in. Also check the fins on the radiator/condensor. Straighten them if theyre bent. And too, make sure there isnt a big slug of snow/ice blocking the air path into the radiator. Thatll make a big difference.

Might wanna try a cooling system flush if it hasnt been done in a long time, if ever. A marginal system might be fine normally but could overheat with the plow. You could also try running the next lower temperature thermostat.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

put in a bigger radiator- normally trucks (lighter duty ones)_ had/hav a 2 row core- add a 4 row core which will double the cooling area.