1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hot_raud, Jan 29, 2004.

1. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

For the first time, I did some highway traveling today with the 7.5 foot meyer blade on the front of my F150. I had the blade raised up as far as it would go (it hits the bottom of my home-made bumper)

I happened to notice the engine temperature gauge was approaching RED. Worried, I got off at the next exit - within 2 or 3 minutes, the temp came back down to normal, but then after some more travelling at speeds between 35 and 55, the engine would get very hot.

I guess the reason is that the blade sends the air up and over the hood instead of into the grille. I lowered the blade to just inches above the ground (wasn't thrilled with this at 50 mph) and it seemed to help a bit. Angling to either side didn't help.

Anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

Thanks,
    Al

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Same here with my 1992 Jeep Wrangler. When the plow is up too much it will block the air to the radiator and the temp gauge will creep up. I transport with the plow only a few inches over the road, normal operating temp is maintained :)

-John :cool:

3. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

it happens to everyone. keep the blade low and go slower. stop when it gets too hot.

4. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

thats normal, anytime i'm going over 35 I drive with the plow down real low and angled to the right.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I spent a lot of time working on this same problem on one of my trucks. If you have a fan clutch, replace it. Life expectancy on these are only 5 years of normal use. much shorter if worked hard. Autozone and KOI replacements were junk. Finally bought dealer unit and now ok... P.S. Fan should roar when ever temp rises...Chuck

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

my 85 with a 4.9l stays cold at any speed and at any height with the plow on it...kinda drives me nuts..because the thing runs slightly warm without the plow but runs real cold with the plow :confused: but i figure for areodynamics i leave it low when cruisind down an road unless drifted then i pick her up

7. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I have a 95 F-150 with the 351W and I run my Fisher plow raised about 6" off the ground when driving between jobs. But the thing is I have lowered my brackets about 7" to make it more level to the ground after I put the 6" (actually ended up with 9") lift kit. Radiator is mostly clear of the blade. :drinkup:

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why dont you angle it right or left to allow some air flow

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I have 4 trucks, all Meyer equipped and we have the same problem on everyone of them. We just avoid the interstate. If I do have to drive on the interstate I lower the blade as low as I can. Angling the blade helps on some of the trucks, others do better with the blade straight. Sometimes it also depends on which way the wind is blowing. Slowing down 10 mph can also make a difference.

10. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I have an 86 F150 with a 4.9 liter engine. I ran into an overheating problem too. I tried angling the blade and it was no help. I ended up changing the radiator to a larger heavy duty unit. That helped quite a bit. I don't like to drop the plow too low as the front sags a bit with the plow up. I did install new new front coils ( heavy duty LWB F150 with V8 and air). I am thinking of Timbrens for next year. My truck is a SWB. Sometimes it will get to the upper to the upper end of the temp guage if I travel a long ways. I'm thinking of installing an electric fan with a cab mounted switch.

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Never happened to me.:D

12. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

running hot

it doesent happen to me either it must be a diesel thing!!!!!!!! ha..........ha..........banks goodies!!!!!!!!!!

13. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

yeah that happens to my truck too,

what I do is lower the blade when I am going long drives like on the interstate and drive under the MPH as for the road. do not do any speeding.

it will stay as cool it can be. maybe do some washing will help too.

14. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I have noticed a marked improvement after adding a stiff deflector to my 8' Fisher. The deflector stays perpendicular to the plow (parallel to the road). I think it changes the air dynamics behind the plow. I also keep it lower and angle it. This is on a 03 GMC 2500 which many have this problem with. Give it a try, it's cheap.

15. kjett

kjett Junior Member

PHP:
     I'm thinking of installing an electric fan with a cab mounted switch.

I think that skmodmsl has hit the nail on the head.Placing a fan in front of the radiator to act as a pusher type when the stock clutch fan can't keep up may just be the ticket.

Also skmodmsl, I had that problem on my F-150 where the weight of the plow would dive my front end about 4" or more when the blade was up. I added a set of AirLift air bags inside of my coils. I run about 28 lbs in each bag and now my truck only drops about 1"!! I have since added a 6" lift and solid front to the truck, but I went back to airlift and got their tallest coil spring bags and I keep my truck from looking like a 70's hot rod with the big rake going down the road. :salute:

16. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Angling didn't seem to help my situation. I tried slowing down to under 45 and felt like I was going to get run over by passing traffic.

An extra fan is something to think about. But how about just rigging up some sort of air deflector on top of the plow or plow frame to direct air down and into the grille? I have a Meyer set up. I noticed that the fisher plows have a triangular piece at the top of the plow frame. Does that deflect air down?

17. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I have the fisher plow on my truck. The triangular piece you speak of provides a point of pivot for the plow to raise and lower. I don't know if it really helps deflect air down when going down the road though.

18. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

I'm thinking of adding a triangular piece of steel to the top of my lift arm so that when the arm and plow are up, the triangle might deflect air down...

19. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

For info only: Blizzard sells a top of the plow air deflector for this purpose. See it on their website. I will be getting one this spring as I cart a plow around all summer and my truck temp gets up a bit.

20. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Why would you drive around all summer with the plow on? :confused:

-John :cool: