1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating with plow on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by reedone, Nov 16, 2009.

1. reedone

reedone Junior Member

I'm new to this site and I need some help. My truck is overheating with the plow on I have seen several posts about people replacing their fan clutch. The people who have replaced them did it help? Any other help would be great and yes I have tryed every angle possible with the plow on and height and nothing helped.

2003 chevy silverado 1500HD 6.0
    Boss straight blade
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Yes it will help
  3. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

try driving with the plow lower . my truck overheats if i drive with the plow all the way up .
  5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Have you tried transporting it as low and angled as you possibly can?
    usually does the trick .
  6. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

i used to have the same problem with my 8 foot blade. No matter the height or angle, if i drove on the highway it would overheat. I think the fan clutch was going on it.
  7. Deco

Deco Senior Member

I always wondered why the directions in the plow owners manuals included the
    "Do not exceed 40 MPH when transporting plow" warning .They cover their aces good. :realmad:
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Does the front sag alot when the plow is up?? It maybe time to think about Timbrens or other methods of getting the nose up to proper height. I would think that would give you much more airflow solving your issue. I have a 02 2500HD 6.0 with no overheating issues at a stock level. Not sure what the particular differences are between the two other then suspension.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Any GMC or Chevy truck I have had has this issue. I have tried the deflectors air scoops and the only thing that helped was a new HEAVY DUTY fan clutch.

The GM's still raise a bit more in temp with a good working HD fan clutch but it will help and is a must to be working properly for GM.

Play around with where to tilt it and or lower raise it while driving and watch your temp gauge to look for a drop. Find the sweet spot and keep it there. I had one GMC that was so bad at one point I only took side roads and kept it under 40 mph.
  10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Fan Clutch...
  11. Grass_n_Trees

Grass_n_Trees Junior Member

All chevy's heat up with a plow, try a summer thermostat, rad flush, product called wetter water, tilt the blade right all the way, drop it till it scrapes the road and heater on high.
  12. After reading all this replies. So what you going to do?
  13. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I have two subs who run Chevy 2500HD's and they both have the same problem. Run the plow as low to the ground and keep it under 40mph. This is why I run Fords, look at the front end of a Ford or Dodge and see how big and wide open they are, then compare them to a Chevy or GMC. Chevy and GMC with the new body design has attempted to remedy this but they didn't go tall like Ford they just made the grill wider.

My F-350's run so cold that I have block off part of the grill to keep them warm.
  14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Really.....I've never had a problem with mine. I drive all over the country side with mine. I even drove with mine on the front from Hartford, CT back to Windham, ME (250 miles) when I bought it. It barley got warm.

Maybe there trucks don't have plow prep or something. What does GM do for plow prep anyway?
  15. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

These are 02 or '03's I believe I don't know if that makes a difference. Like I said I'm not a chevy guy so I'm not sure what GM does for a plow prep. I know ford is usually heavier front springs, and a larger alternator, battery blankets too.
  16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thats what I have is an 02 6.0 2500 HD.
  17. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The 2500HD has a much larger cooling system and fan lockup.
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes, but this is what he wrote..... & from my understanding, I could be wrong here, but from what I have been told the only thing that separates the 1500HD & the 2500HD is the suspension.
  19. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

The 2500HD and 1500HD should have the same engine cooling system as they have the same engine. The only differenece between the two may be transmission and oil coolers may or may not be present heavier springs and heavier axles maybe?I know that my subs have changed fan clutches in the past and they helped.
  20. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

just a thought, wait until its winter to drive with the plow on. with the high temps we are having your rads cant keep up. 35 f or below is best w/ a plow on.