1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheating with a 04 gmc

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by D&S snowplowing, Dec 8, 2009.

1. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

well i just got the business handed to me by my father and got his truck after mine fell apart... but im plowing with a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 and the snow plow prep package on it.... plow wise its a 7.5 western ultra mount im having problems with it over heating and height angle heater on or off i saw somthing about the fan clutch...was wondering how often that will fix the problem....and suggestions for a good set of tires i want to go with a 285/75/16 we had yokhama geolanders ats that lasted 3 plow seasons have a set of BFG all terrians now and hate them with a passion

2. bersh

bersh Senior Member

You need the new fan clutch. I had issues with overheating with my 2004 2500HD and installed the new clutch and haven't had an issue since.

I got mine from gmpartsdirect, part #15710101. I should warn you that there is a special tool that is needed to remove and install the fan clutch for these newer trucks, they run about $40-50. I bought the tool and probably will never use it again, but it was still cheaper than having the dealer install it.

3. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I have geolanders that are 265 on my truck. I have only had them on a couple months. I haven't plowed with them yet, but I'm happy with them so far. Great price too.

4. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

ive seen alot of people plowing with BFGs and i dont understand how they can like spending the high price everyone has a lil cheap person inside them especially with the economy another tire i was considering was the cooper discoverer ATR but i think i will give the fan clutch a try anything has to help i have tosed around the idea of leveling the truck out as well but i hate modifying suspension because then ur asking for more things to break

5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I run Cooper ATR in the summer, but use Cooper M+S in the winter. The ATR are a good all-around tire, but the M+S are much better in snow and for plowing. The ATR are really only good for the first winter you run them, after that, not so much. To add to this, I also run ATR on the wife's 04 Suburban, and I just got done putting a set of Avalanche X-Treme snow tires on it for her. So far I'm pretty impressed with them as we've gotten just over 2 ft. of snow in the last week so they've gotten a workout already.

You can put a set of Timbrens or the new Buyer version(1/2 the price of Timbrens) to help the front end.

6. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

thank you so much for the help leading me in the right direction everyone i just didnt feel like throwing parts at it and not fix it i would have never thought about that stuff

7. 4speed

4speed Member

You don't need a special tool for the job, If you have an air hammer with a chisel you can buzz the old one right off . If not you can use a cold chisel and a bfh.

8. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I tried a few different methods, and after spending an unsuccessful hour trying I punted and bought the tool. Once I had the tool it took all of 30 seconds to get the old one off. It might not be needed, but it sure makes life a lot easier.