1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating when plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Donny, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Donny

Donny Junior Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with an 8' Fisher Plow. It has been overheating on me only when plowing, temp goes almost all the way up. It seems to overheat when plowing driveways, not necessarily when traveling. I have tried driving with the plow low and angled and that didn't work. I have to stop the truck and let it idle and within a couple of minutes the temp quickly comes down to normal. A friend of mine took a look at the fan with the truck off and thought it was spinning too easily. He then had me turn the truck on and he was able to stop the fan with his finger(not my idea), he said he shouldn't be able to stop it like that and that something was wrong with the fan. Does this truck have a clutch fan stock? What is a clutch fan? Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Donny P
    Andover, MA
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 8' Fisher Plow

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Replace clutch fan hub with a HD unit as it is not functioning correctly given your simptoms.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sounds like the fan clutch it shot....

BTW... your friend does not ike his fingers much does he???

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Shut the truck off when it's hot and try to turn the fan, it should very stiff to turn (or impossible) if the clutch is working right.
    (most have left hand threads to remove fan and clutch)
    Make sure the front of radiator is clear of bugs etc for good air flow and fin's are straight. Look at all your hoses too, one may be collapsing when warm.
    Got a deflector on the blade? I have seen real fine powder stream into the grill and block air flow. Then it over heats, drove me nuts till I got out and looked at the grill. I then installed a deflector on blade, end of problem.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

another good fix is to take your keys, title and truck to a ford dealer and trade up. IM JUST KIDDING. :):)

6. capital

capital Senior Member

Suggest you see your chevy dealer and also use this sites search engine regarding chevy 2500 hd their is a silent recall on your fan and should not cost you anything to fix it

7. Donny

Donny Junior Member

After reading these replyies, I think it must be the fan. MickiRig1 mentioned that is should be hard to spin when the truck is off, well it is very very easy to spin. I will bring it to the dealership and get it checked out, I will also check on the recall/ TSB that has been mentioned.

Thanks to all,
    Donny

8. Tarkus

If it is not covered under warranty or recall a new clutch hub will be a LOT cheaper at a parts store than at a dealer.

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Clutch fans are speed sensitive. Meaning they are designed not to drive the fan very fast at higher engine speeds, they work mostly from idle to 2000 rpm when the (radiator) is warm. Driving with the plow going down the road blocks the air from going through the radiator. Get rid of the clutch fan and put on a direct drive stainless steel flex fan.

10. Actually,
    There are 2 kinds of fan clutches. Centripital and thermal. A centripital clutch locks up more the faster it spins. A thermal clutch is run by the temperature on the clutch itself, the warmer it gets, the more it locks up.

11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

12. Sorry to tell ya bud,
    But your WRONG again. I have bought a centripital clutch for my 85 K10 Chevy when it needed one. I didn't like how much the fan ran and then bought a thermal one for it. The thermal one was more expensive and that's the reason I got the centripital one the first time. :nod:

13. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

Donny....

Same here on my '03 GMC Sierra. We have a 8' Meyer and continously overheated last winter. We dropped the plow at low at possible (w/ the chains) and that seemed to be the only solution.

It was under warrantly (still is) and brought it to the original dealership who we bought it from and they couldn't figure anything out. It was there on 3 separate occassions. Finally, brought it to another GMC dealer and they couldn't find anything....just lowered the chains on the plow and suggested to angle it while in transit.

The design of the Chevy's and GMC are poor when it comes to plowing due to the slope on the hood. After a couple overheatings, I was ready to trade her for a Ford....it would keep my other two company.

14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If a plow truck is overheating this time of year there is something wrong. Fan, water pump, thermostat etc. I run a Blizzard 810 at 60 miles an hour in the dead of summer and it does not over heat.

15. Stripe This

Stripe This Member
    from NJ

My trouble only came w/ plowing...no worries during the rest of the season. They replaced the thermostat...which didn't help any. I just believe it's the design of the truck.

16. Bolts Indus.

Believe me, It is not the design of the truck.

PS: Forgot to ask. Is this a 1/2 ton?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  17. Tarkus

Actually it is in that they delay clutch as long as possible temp wise in warm weather for maxiumum fuel econmony, the air passing thru the radiator never gets warm enough in winter for clutch fan to work properly. This is most definately a design problem.

18. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Iv'e got a 2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab with a Blizzard 800. 10 days ago we had 2 feet of wet snow. I plowed hard for two hours doing driveways and had no overheating problems.

19. Bolts Indus.

PJB:

Who did you buy your plow from?

20. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Hi Dave,

I bought it from you of course. I see you got your computer fixed. did you take it to JPJ in Burnside.

Paul