1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating when plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Donny, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Donny

Donny Junior Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with an 8' Fisher Plow. It has been overheating on me only when plowing, temp goes almost all the way up. It seems to overheat when plowing driveways, not necessarily when traveling. I have tried driving with the plow low and angled and that didn't work. I have to stop the truck and let it idle and within a couple of minutes the temp quickly comes down to normal. A friend of mine took a look at the fan with the truck off and thought it was spinning too easily. He then had me turn the truck on and he was able to stop the fan with his finger(not my idea), he said he shouldn't be able to stop it like that and that something was wrong with the fan. Does this truck have a clutch fan stock? What is a clutch fan? Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Donny P
    Andover, MA
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 8' Fisher Plow

2. Robo

Robo Senior Member

There is a different fan clutch GM makes that will most likely solve your problem. It engages at a lower temperature and solved a coworkers overheating problem (as well as many others on these websites). I don't know what the part # is off hand but if you do a search here in this forum it should come up for you. If not it is at the other snowplowing site I seen it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had the same problem when I had my 01 2500HD. The dealer put a different fan clutch in it and it never overheated again.

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Check with your GM dealer. There is a service bulletin out for the problem you are having. A new fan clutch will fix your overheating problem.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You may also want to have your cooling system >power< flushed. Sometimes the new fluid types will actually glop together and cause heating issues. ( Aside from the fact that this new fluid as it growers older has a ph value that will register a volt and start to corde everything internally )

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not likely here because it does not run hot all the time. This is a clutch fan issue at low speeds for sure. Also it is not so much the age of the coolant at it is the number of heating and cooling cycles and the time the coolant has spent heat (as in high mileage like 100K plus) "wears" out coolant sooner than old coolant that has seen little use.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Naaaaa. I have seen first hand glop in vehicles with only 10k on them. I have seen vehicle with 12 months 20k and have a voltage above 1 volt in the fluid - which is acid. The fluid may not be this persons problem but, it's cheap enough to power flush. In fact I have even seen vechicles have no heat with 15k on the fluid - because it gloped. I know the 'ol marketing b.s. - suppose to last 100k. It doesn't - and spark plugs don't last a 100k either.

8. Tarkus

If this was the case it would overheat all of the time and I usually change my antifreeze every 6 to 8 years BUT I run 65 to 70% antifreeze t water too and I have seen no problem yet even with the dexicool crap

9. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

i had the same problem with my 95'' and it was the fan clutch on it. i don't know if you pull a trailer in the summer for anything but, i do know they make a heavy duty fan clutch i used it and have not had any problems. i also pull a 22' race car trailer in the summer with a 3200lbs. car on it and it runs right at 195 deg. good luck :nod:

10. Donny

Donny Junior Member

Had the fan clutch replaced and it seems to have done the trick. I put the plow on this morning and the temp stayed right in the same spot it always is. Thanks to all for the advice!

-Donny

11. Tarkus

Good deal I had little doubt that is was a fan issue! :waving: