1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheating troubles

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by akhollywood, Oct 24, 2007.

1. akhollywood

akhollywood Junior Member

So we picked a new 810pp last spring got to use it once but the temp was hard to keep under control so drove it home at 20mph that seemed to work. So this fall I picked up a wind scoop from blizzard for the plow but that does not seem to make any difference. then i found this site and thought i would ask if any one else has had this problem or if it is just me.
    The plow is mounted on a 91 chevy 3500 dually

thanks

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

454? Be careful, they are known for getting hot and cracking manifolds and blowing head gaskets. You need to be very careful with the heat. I would suggest you flush the coolant system well, new thermostat and waterpump, while radiator is empty remove it and pressure wash it from the back to blow out the 17 years of accumulated crud. Seems like a lot of work, but if you don't get it clean and flowing good nothing else you do will make a difference. Check your clutch fan to ensure it is working properly. You could throw a cheap electric fan on there for an auxiliary backup in case of emergency, but you really shouldn't have to.

Part of the problem is the small grill area on these trucks. The blade blocks it pretty easily, so an air scoop should help. If it didn't then like I said, address the trucks cooling system. I've been wanting to make a scoop for mine, but I haven't really needed to. Only time mine warms up is if I get over 50 mph, which never happens unless I have to take the plow into the dealer, and that only happened once. My whole route is on secondary roads, never get up to speed so it never gets too hot. But when I did drive on the highway I had to try to drop the plow as low as possible with just a slight angle, to try to get some air. What happened was the temp would go up high enough to kick the fan on, which would then bring it back down.

The 3500 is going to have a big HD cooling system, so it should be able to handle the blade. But you will need to get the system working properly. I can't stress enough how important it is to powerwash the radiator, coolers and AC condensor if so equipped. And you can't do it with the radiator in the truck.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Back when I had my 97 GMC with a 454, I had trouble overheating till I added a snow flap. That took care of it. Plus no more snow over the hood!

4. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Check to see if you need to change the thermostat, but more importantly, if you have a five blade fan for the radiator, change it to a seven blade fan.

Then if you can, drop the blade jsut enough to let air over the top and into the grill.

Tim

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Chevy had a service bulletien on 88-95 trucks overheating, with a different blade and some other fixes. Western had a service b. also, I believe. Check with your local chevy dealer, should be able to dig it up for you.

6. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

I've got the same problem with my '92 ford. Looking at gettinga new radiator because of the sludge build up