1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating on the highway. Electric fan

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 94chevyz71, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 94chevyz71

94chevyz71 Junior Member

:dizzy:I have a 94 1500 z71 with the 350 motor with a 8ft plow when ever i drive on the highway around 55 mph the truck overheat i am pretty sure it cause the plow blocking the air i check the fan cooling system etc eveything is good i have run this truck 20 hours straight plowing heavy snow only stopping for gas and bathroom no problem only driving on the highway it overheat i was told to take out my stock fan and put a flex fan on it but i dont see the different that would make also i was told to put and electric fan i got and electric fan from my part store they told me this fan can be mounted on between the radiator and the stock cooling fan so i leave the stock cooling fan and use both of then . Has anyone ever use one of this fan and did it make a different in overheating any help on my overheating issue would be great thank.
  2. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Do not do this, get a heavy duty fan clutch and lower the blade a little when on the highway. When I had a straight blade I had put on a curved/formed snow deflector and it actually worked wonders to get airflow over the blade. I posted pics and a little blurb about a while ago.

Edit: Here is the link to my post. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96203
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the electric fan will not keep up at highway speeds. I had a 454 with 2 fans and they couldn't keep up
    do the clutch upgrade, or don't go on the expressway
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

do you lower the plow and angle it when on the highway?...when getting a hd clutch for the fan be sure that it is one!...fins extend to the end and squared