1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheating on my 2004 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by concrete11, Jan 29, 2011.

1. concrete11

concrete11 Junior Member
    from mass.

hey guys , i have a 2004 chevy 2500hd 4x4 , with the allison tranny, when im plowing she overheats easily. ive tried plow heights and angles , nothing seems to matter. the tranny runs hot but never redlined, however the motor has twice.it doesnt seem to matter either in 4wd or 2wd short or long trips. any solutions ?????
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak Junior Member

Chevy had a recall or a bulliten out for this problem. You will have to see if you got the upgraded fan in the truck. if not get it and it should fix the problem. All the up grade does is make it run more often. Kills the fuel milage but keeps things cool.
  3. concrete11

concrete11 Junior Member
    from mass.

tnx for replying.... someone told me that changing the thermostat to a lower one would allow it to open sooner,ur thoughts ?????/

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Its easier to change the fan clutch than the thermostat. The fan clutch is a easy fix and you don't need to change wires or anything. It just bolts in place. No wires to mess with, or worrying about coolant all over. Just pull the top of the fan shroud off. the unbolt the fan clutch with the fan attached. (its easier that way.) The un bolt the fan and bolt it back up to the new clutch. Then just bolt the new clutch back in and re install the top of the fan shroud. It takes probably 30 mins.
  5. batman53201

batman53201 Junior Member

easiest fix for a truck overheating with a plow on, is to get more air to the radiator, i did this by taking 2 10 inch wide heat vent duct work and connected them together and mounted it to the plow........it takes the air that is forced up from the plow and directs it back to the radiator, totally fixed my problem.
  6. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I just traded my truck in .I had a 2004 chevy dump witch i bought new that was over heating ,brought it to the dealer and was told they had a bigger fan and asked him why this didn't come with the truck since it came with snow plow prep. They put a bigger fan on and this took care of the problem.They only charged me the cost of the fan.
  7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

You have the Allison? Is it a big block 8100 or the Duramax?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The 6.0 doesn't have an Allison, at least in another post you said it was a 6.0. Common issue, upgrade to the HD fan clutch pretty sure there is a TSB for it