1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating IN a Brand new HD!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Italiano67, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

This is the second 2500 HD that I have owned that like to overheat in town putting around. With the plow on of course. It doesnt seem to matter what position the plow is in ether. I had my 2003 HD clutch fan replaced and the same day it overheated again but not quite as often. Now I have a 2004 and it does it too. It doesnt seem as if the fan is coming and the right times. What a joke!! You spend 35000 for a new truck and a 2000 beater is more reliable. There is absolutely no reason that that fan cant be reliable. I know some guys are going to say that its not getting air but thats baloney. As soon as the truck gets to say 220 degrees that fan should kick on! I dont care if the front end is sealed off completely. The fan should come on to try to do its job. I am sick of pulling over on the side of the road over something so stupid. Maybe its time for a Ford!Well I guess nothing would be that bad!! :drinkup: Thanks for the VENT!
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had a 2001 2500HD and it was junk. I too had the fan clutch problem. Nothing but problems as soon as I took off the showroom floor. I traded it in on my current truck(Ford) and I'll never own another chevy truck. Too many problems.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My 2500HD had the some problem, but the fan clutch fixed it. I am sure many other on this site will say the same thing. Be sure that the proper fan clutch is placed in it. I posted the TSB on the site some time ago, which had the proper part numbers.

Check these topics:

Hope this helps!!

BTW: 2500HD's are NOT junk....lets not make this a Ford/Dodge/GM debate...
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We had a 2001 hd with a fisher.That was the worst truck i ever owned,always ran hot with the plow.Went back to ford,even with the plow all the way up doing 65 70 on the highway the trans & temp guage don't move.Also the frame of the truck is so low u can get stuck very easy on a small snow pile
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

One of the things that always scared me about ford is that the guages never move. I would expect some sort of movement when working the truck like plowing snow. Like I said the clutch fan update should fix his problem.

On the frame sitting low... I do not see how this is an issue?? The lowest point on any truck is the front and rear differentials... so frame height will not get you stuck. Also as I see it all plows frames have to be a certain height off the ground(where the a frame meets the truck to keep the angle of attack correct), and no matter if you have a ford, dodge or Chevy, the higher the truck the lower you have to drop the plow frame's truck mounts. You might gain an inch or two, but is that really going to make a difference?? It might matter if you are trying to plow over tall curbs, but that is about it.

Any way the question was not about frame height.... so I have ranted enough!!
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Anthony and others.....

Get the TSB completed. It TOTALLY stopped ALL overheating with my truck.

I could drive my plow around all summer long with my A/C on and probably NOT overheat.

Yet prior to getting it replaced, It was SEVERELY overheating on a single digit temperature night driving 34-40mph.

Keep taking it back until they get it right.

Likely, they're seeing if the "placebo effect" is going to work for you (ie: NOT replacing the clutch fan at all, and saying they did).

IT WORKS. There is nothing wrong with these trucks other than the clutch fan.
  7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

You are correct about the lowest point on the truck being the front & rear diffs, but I've found with the lower frame height on my Chev 1500 I tend to get my frame hung up on deeper snow that has a crust. If it were just my diffs I don't think I'd have a problem as that wouldn't be enough to hang me up and I could power out. But with my lower frame height I've gotten hung up a few times and have pull out my "stick plow" and pull some snow out from under the truck, once I do that I'm able to power out.

As for the overheating, do you guys think the fan clutch on the 1/2 tons has the same issue as the 3/4 tons? Mine overheats on transport after I've been plowing for awhile. Never overheats while I'm plowing but as soon as I hit the road the temp starts going up, crank up the defroster and it seems to stabilize at about 230, but I'd prefer to keep it around 210.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Get the right fan clutch and the gauge will be right were it should. Problem solved. Just make sure they put the right updated one on as just replacing the wrong old one with a new "wrong" one wont fix a thing.Warranty will cover the update no questions asked.And yeah, I'll bite, it's never time for a ford.
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not a betting man, but if I had to guess, I would say YES, you would see an improvement. Problem is, I don't think the TSB covers 1/2 tons. But you could try ordering the updated clutch fan youself and installing it.
  10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

They could have put on the wrong fan. My 2003 never over heats, and my 1995 used to untill I changed the the clutch fan. I can run my 8 1/2 foot western all the way up and never run hot.
  11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I don't know, but the only time I have ever been stuck plowing is with a F250SD, and that was when I was stacking snow, and the pile flipped over to the back side of the blade. To me if I a plowing snow, the object is to clear the snow, so I do not see how I would ever get enough snow under neath the truck for it to get hung up on the frame. I am sure any truck that you just go plowing through snow with the blade up eventually you will get hung up if the snow is deep enough.

JRKRACE Senior Member

Same overheating issue with my 2004 HD. Took it in for the TSB and replaced the fan clutch. Now the temp doesn't flinch past 210. purplebou
  13. jbright

jbright Junior Member

Same problem with my 2500HD

What do you know, my problem seems to be common! Fan clutch you say? I just logged onto this site with the sole intention of finding out why my 2500HD overheats.....very randomly, only 3 times in the last this past winter. Always with the plow on. Has never happined while I'm plowing, I just seem to be driving around in stop and go traffic and Bingo...I suddenly see the temp gauge ramp up. It seems that if I pull over, turn the truck off and back on and the engine seems to cool real quick. I can watch the temp gauge drop. Its under warranty. I had GM replace the themostat already but it didn't seem to help. I guess I'll take it in for a new fan clutch. What's a TSB....Technicial service bulletin??
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

15. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

Got my fan clutch replaces and now the temp sits just below 210 all the time when running. Doesn't matter if the plow is on or not. Temp guage never gets above 160, usually below 150 unless i'm really pushing a pile. Truck is an 03 2500HD.

16. jbright

jbright Junior Member

Thanks....you guys are great. I think the snow is going to hold off for a few days. I'm off to the dealer tomorrow!

17. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Good luck getting it fixed,I've been trying for weeks but the snow wont let me drop it off... payup payup