1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

OK I need some help! at the end of last season i was done doing my 5 driveways ( it was my first year), and my truck couldn't go 2 passes without overheating. I let the truck sit and started it up and got one driveway done and it overheated again. At the end of that hell season I replaced the thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator. This year i have 35 driveways and 3 lots ( i bought out a company) and brought the plow 10 miles from my house yesterday to get it tuned up and the truck overheated. I've had 3 different mechanics look at it and no one knows the problem this has to stop I need help. How do i keep it cool!! :help:

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck is it, and what size plow? As for the overheating, beats me, it seems as if you have done the obvious things 5 times over. Someone more mechanically inclined then me can probley give you some ideas. Good luck, i hope you get it resolved before the snow starts flying :waving:

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Overheating

I really need to know the vehicle, engine/tranny and dont take this wrong but your driving habits.I say this to tell you that if your running say a 4 cyl Toyota or a 4cyl jeep---ect ect this type of vehicle would overheat in heavy wet snow plowing in high range at some accelerated speeds and longer distances.I can give you some tips but i need more info.

4. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Ya I should of put the vehicle in there i'm stupid! but any way it's a 1996 Ford F-250 8 cyl. 5.8L w/trany. cooler and 8 foot fisher mm2 plow :help:

5. RON66106

RON66106 Member

overheating

Is there a fan shroud on the radiator? I had a truck do the same thing and it turned out to be as simple as puting a shroud on to force more air thru the rad.

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

My first guess is going to be the plow not being angled during transport. That plow is blocking the wind from entering the front of the radiator. The truck only overheats when you have the plow on and are traveling? Does it over heat as you stand at a light? Traveling without the plow? Try running the truck with the plow on, but either angle it to the left or right or, only raise it a couple of inches off the ground and take a ride. See if that helps air flow. My 83 c3500 would over heat in 25 F weather with the plow on, fully raised. If I angle it, no prob. My 95 k2500, it'll run all day and never over heat.

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

If you DO have a shroud or if you put one on and that doesn't help, think about an oversized electric fan in addition to your mechanical or maybe a flex fan with more blades. I assume from your first post, that the truck is overheating WHILE you are plowing not intransit, but if that is not the case I think that the post above about angling the plow is right on.

Good Luck

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Oh yeah, get your cooling system flushed, and make sure that your oil and tranny fluid are topped off. If your oil level is a quart low, I've heard that your cooling ability is dimenished by by up to 20%

Again, good luck, I've been there

9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

I can totally relate to your overheating problem.

I had a 1985 F-250 and as soon as the 8 ft. Fisher plow was put on , the temp would rise immediately and over heat. Like you I replaced thermostat,waterpump,upgraded to the 2 inch radiator , added an additional bigger trans cooler and a huge auxilliary fan , had gallons and gallons of extra anti freeze on board at all times .

I drove slow ,kept the radiator cap on half way, tried angling the plow every way possible , up and down too , which helped a little but cranking the heat and leaving the hood un latched but still locked helped alot.( USE CAUTION when leaving the hood unlatched)
    I even installed two 4 inch vents using clothes dryer vent flex tube and mounted them from the top of the headgear down to the grill one year ... looked very gay and didnt help that much.Ive heard that guys with the same problem have cut slots in the plow blade to supply the front end with more cold air . I never did that .

In retro spect I wish I had tried a pair of TIMBRENS on the front end , this would have eliminated the sag when the plow was on and maybe the airflow wouldnt of been compromised.

I plowed for seven years with that truck and made alot of scratch ...
    Sold the truck for what I paid for it ...got a 97 F-350 ..and let me tell ya , its great to plow without constantly watching the temp light and having the windows down in every blizzard cuz the heats cranked all the time .

Hope ya get some help from all this info , take it slow and save ya money and sell that truck ASAP.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  10. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

My 86 f250 was very picky sometimes would overheat sometimes not you have to watch the temp guage and the plow height while transporting. Even when doing that the weight in the back makes different angle of attack. Did you upgrade radiator or just change you need the hd.

You said you overheated at end of season and you are heating up now look at outside temp now.....needs to bee a little cooler to be driving around w plows.

11. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Thanks for all the advice I have timbrens and a built up front end and that didn't help either it does overheat the most when the plow is in transport. I have tried keeping it angled and 1 inch off the ground but no good. I really need to find out what this trucks deal is! :yow!:

12. RON66106

RON66106 Member

overheating

Try a little something different. Put into your cooling systen what is called waterwetter it is basically alchol but it takes up to 20 deg. off of running temp.
    I have put in in everything from my race car to my everyday driver and can see the differance in the temp guage. If your problem is border line overheating it could do the trick and it only cost about $10 Most auto parts stores sell it now , if you have trouble finding it try a speed shop or if all else fails email me and I'll help. Ron

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

I have a special interest in this. My 85 f 250 has been overheating with the plow on. I have tried it all. I think it might be fixed (I'll have to hold off judgement till I get the plow fixed.... see my other post.) I have been doing some research on the subject, the only other idea that I have found was a snow deflector across the top of the plow. It's supposed to break up the flowof the air and let more through the grille. We'll it's supposed to keep snowoff your windsheild, but related to this problem it's the air we are interested in. It's worth a shot and will keep your windshield clean too.

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The first thing to do is get rid of the fan clutch. They dont really turn at hi way speeds. Thats what they are designed to do. Put on a direct drive flex fan.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If you can't fix it, what about a hood scoop?

Or maybe a custom air scoop that you fit to the front grill when using the plow.
    ......--
    ...../ / <-- custom damn over top of plow
    |==
    |-\
    |--\ <-- plow

16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

As a last resort I know that Blizzard sells an air scoop that bolts to the top of the plow to direct air into the radiator.

17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here is a quick suggestion, basically you need to spin the water pump faster to cool quicker, are your pulley's under driven. If the water pump is to slow, you will definitely have intermittent cooling problems, try changing your water pump pulley to a bigger size, this will cause it to spin faster thus cool quicker. Last replace the water pump with a heavy duty style, Summit Racing sells them, I think Edelbrock manufactures them.

Best of luck to ya.

18. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I agree with the flex fan conversion. Even if your not overheating the engine it will provide better cooling for the trans.

19. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Thank you guys for all of your help! I think I am going to put 500 pounds of weight in the back and heavy duty leaf springs in the front to help level off the truck to allow more flow to the radiator. Then I'm going to put in a lower temp t-stat like a 145. Let me know if you think this will help Thanks!

20. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I woulden't bother with the 145 T-stat.
    Your old one opened up at around 185 and the truck still overheated.
    So if it's wide open at 145 you may only get an extra minute before it overheats.

I had a problem with my 87 F350 overheating on transport.
    Turned out that the rubber deflector flap on the top of the plow was blocking the air flow to the radiator.
    Solution was to strap down the flap, or have the plow 1 inch off the ground during transport. (watching out for bumps)

If your truck overheats while plowing then you have a fan problem like the others said.
    My temps settled right down as soon as I got to the job.
    Good luck