1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheating during transport...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 91sonomaplow, Oct 22, 2003.

1. 91sonomaplow

91sonomaplow Junior Member

I took a little highway trip from my home to my store (where i will need to plow this winter) with the plow on. Now i understand it was not super cold out (it was around 40,) but my temp shot up to the red on the highway due to the lack of air hitting the grill with the plow on. I tried it at different angles and different heights it maintained a bit high with the plow angled hard right and as low as i dared carry it BUT when i would hit a hard dip or bump the low corner of the blade would contact the road. I have to drive down a 65 mph highway and in the winter the way the new york state crews do things there will only be 1 lane open on moderate to heavy snow days and i really do not want to hold up traffic going 10 miles below the speed limit. I can if i dont have any other choices but again i would like to keep it at 60-65 for the 20 mile trip. have any of you guys ever heard of coolant wett? its a coolant additive that keeps your engine up to 10 degrees lower than standard coolant (i have been into drag racing for years and i use this in my 85 corvette street/strip daily driver and it made a huge differance) but i dont know if it impedes the antifreeze capabilities of the coolant... my vette is in a heated storage facility all winter and it doesnt say anything about it on the products packaging other than not to use it in extreme cold...define extreme! Has anyone heard of (or made) any kind of ram that can be put above or below the plow to duct air to the radiator? If i have to get creative with tin snips sheet metal, c clamps and dryer hose i can *lol* When i was 20 i could have put this little 6 1/2 foot plow in and out of the truck bed alone but im 34 years old now, i was shot during desert storm and the plastic knee wont tolerate dead lifting like that on a daily basis any thoughts?
  2. 91sonomaplow

BTW This is a great site!

I have learned a lot from you guys already and i think its awesome that you big boys are willing to lend a helping hand to us hobby guys!
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Water wetter,or similar coolant additives don't really help in this situation much,as the problem is not getting the heat from the water to the rad,but from the rad to the air.Without enough airflow,in can't pull enough heat out of the rad.

Make sure the factory lower air dam is in place,even if you have to cut it around your plow mount.If it's not,get one of a scrap truck.It will help force some of the air coming under the blade up into the rad area,instead of under the truck.

Make sure your rad\fan shrouds are in place.Check the rad\AC condensor (if equipped),and anything else in front of the rad is clean.A powerwasher works well to clean them.

Get rid of the fan clutch,and run a solid fan in the winter.The fan clutch only comes on when it gets hot,but the plow can disturb the airflow to the clutch,so it never sees the hot air,and doesn't engage.

My S10's will get a little warm if the outside temps are around 40,but they will never overheat.I run with the blade all the way up,and straight.Seems to work the best.

WOOFSPLOW Member

When was the last time you changed coolent and thermostat? I had some cooling issues with the Toyota I just bought along with a small leak on top of radiator. Flushed system completly and refilled with some conditioner and sealer. System runs perfect now it does not even get to half way now was running on red prior. I don't think the rad. fluid was ever changed it was practilly black. Good Luck:)
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Speed limits are meant for times when conditions are normal. If conditions are worse than normal, like a day of heavy snow with only one lane open, traffic *should* be going less than the limit. If they want to get to work on time, they should leave earlier...

6. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

just drive to work with the plow down on the highway!!!:jester:
  7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Check in the Chevy trucks discussion. Someone did like you were saying, run some big flexible dryer hose up to your plow lights, and run the other end to your radiator.
  8. 91sonomaplow

Thanx for all the ideas i cleaned out the radiator (leaves and bugs all over it) then i did a flush and fill, modified and reinstalled the under bumper air deflector. it was still running warm so i made small reversed spoilers with sheet metal and mounted them just under the plow lights. 70 mph on the highway in 60 degree weather with the plow on, up high angled to the right slightly gives me a good solid 190 degree temp well withing the norm :)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

maybe thats why theres a stickers that say
    do not exceed 45mph when transporting plow

if the weathers bad everybody will be slowing down anyway
    my truck run hot when run over 60mph i just lower the blade
    but leave i it straight temp comesdown to normal

10. 91sonomaplow

well since my stickers are missing i think i should be able to go faster :) LOL have you ever been to new york cardoctor? they dont slow down in new york... ever for anything! Over here its lead follow or get run over!!
  11. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

I agree with you in regards to lead follow or get run over!! I live upstate, and the closer you get to Syracuse( let alone NYC or further south) it seems to be Hooray for me, and screw everyone else!!1 LOL !!

I recently wnet through my full size Blazer to get it ready for the season, and I did add some additive to the radiator similar to the one you are referring to, but I found what made the major difference was the oil. I added some XR1 synthetic additive, and when I did the oil change I refilled with synthetic oil- those two changes alone dropped my operating temperature by 40 degrees!! I was simply amazed. I ran the plow down the road, and before I did the work on the truck it ran at almost 250+ degrees, now with the plow on I'm closer to 200-210 degrees in warmer temperatures.

My next step is to put the transmission additive in when I do the fluid and filter change for the season. I am not going to use the synthetic trans fluid this year, because of the high mileage on the tranny- I'm using a fluid designed for higher mileage vehicles. The motor is a Jaser replacement engine with only 3k on it, so it gets the royal treatment, and next year I will be having the tranny rebuilt with some improvements;) .

The additives can be picked up at your local parts store and are well worth the investment in my book. Hope this helps!!

12. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

WOW....just like NASCAR :redbounce vent tubes funnel air back to the Rad, tuning the suspension, synthetic stuff.. Cool, keep going... I think Im going to add spring rubbers to the front to help with the drop from the blade being on the truck. I just cant figure out the pre-load on the springs so I get the correct spring rubber thickness. Maybe I will add some wedge to the right rear ??...:D Sorry,, just having DT's..nascar season is almost over :(
  14. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

LMAO!!!! That was great- although I have been way to busy this year to watch much Nascar! Things are getting very interesting on the board lately!! I think we are all definitely getting a little "snow fever" and are dying to get out and PLOW!!!!!!

Keep up the great posts guys!!! Snow wil be here soon!!

EXPGMEDIC Junior Member
    from INDIANA

there is a product on the market called the coooler ( yes 3 o's) i found it links of plow site i think it is worth looking into.
  16. collegeplow

collegeplow Junior Member

'91 Sonoma,

I have a '93 Sonoma and I am just getting it setup with a 6 1/2' Western Unimount. Lots of guys laugh at the idea of an s10 plowing. I was wondering how your truck has been holdng up to it?
  17. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Don't discount the idea of a fan clutch. A properly functioning heavy duty thermal fan clutch will go a long way toward keeping your engine cool at highway speeds. Using a fan clutch as opposed to bolting up your fan directly or using a flex fan will save a lot of wear and tear on your engine. Also, I've recently found that running a 180 degree thermostadt keeps the old temp down on the freeway.

Good luck
  18. 91sonomaplow

sorry for the delay! as for the s-10's I really cant say for sure as i havnt really used it THAT much yet but i will share with you what i have found so far. This is its 3rd year plowing(my first with it), i have my issues with the meyers plow (pumps design just doesnt seem to have had a lot of thought in the old R&D department) I have no problems with the truck as a whole i put 4 wicked treaded winters on it and had them studded, plopped about 300lbs of ballast in the bed and itsk a freaking tank. I was on my way to work this morning and in a line of 8 cars (i was 6) the leader tried to slow down and hit ice and went sideways the caddy behind him panicked and slammed on the brakes and went twirling away and so fourth i was stopping easy as all the ohers spun this way and that and as i smiled to myself (only because i hade a snatch rope behind the seat!!) i looked in the mirror and realized the minivan behind me was comming at me sideways! lol i hit the gas and drove through the spinning tangle of cars ahead of me dodging this way and that and made it though without a scratch. Nobody collided but i did assist 3 out of the ditch. After i got to work (i own a retail store) one of the guys at the neighboring business had arrived ahead of me with his big ole dodge cummins TD and his 8 foot blade and had started on the parking lot so i began to work the other end and after a few minutes i noticed he was having problems he had lost a scoop while stacking and if backfilled behind his bade, he was stuck and digging himself into a grave. I pulled him out easily and we finished up, he later brought over a cup of coffee and said "man, that little thing is an ox on snow shoes!" lol so i guess to answer your question... its an ox on snowshoes!

19. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003