1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by baloux63, Oct 29, 2007.

1. baloux63

baloux63 Junior Member

i have 2 dodge 2500s a 1991 and a1992 both overheat with plows on any recommendations i have been told to add exillary fans,but im just not sure what would be best/ thank you much baloux63
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What plow are you running?

Are you running them all of the way up when you are traveling?

It's kind of warm out to have your plow on.;)

Try lowering the blade a little so air can get to the raditor
    How is the fan clutch?.
  3. baloux63

baloux63 Junior Member

i am running fisher min2 on 1 and a western on otherthey only over heat going down the road not when im plowing sorry i should have specified example 15 to 20 mile run
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Lower the blade and angle it...if it doesn't cool down in one direction try angling it in the other direction.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Try different angles / heights.

On a '95 Dodge w/ 8' Western, we had the best luck with the plow all the way up, angled to the right.

On a 2001 Dodge, 8' Diamond, we had the best luck with the plow straight, but a low as possible without dragging the road.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

sounds like both were built minus plow prerp. Try upgrading the radiator to a 4 row core. Bigger radiator should cure it.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my 1500 ram overheated while traveling with the plow, with my 2500 the needle never moves, and i have traveled 2 hours to boston with it on. i suspect its the bigger radiator and a cooler maybe.
  8. Dartsport

Dartsport Junior Member

Dodge makes a snow plow option "clutch fan" for most trucks. I put the optional clutch fan on my 1995 Ram 1500. When i was driving it with a Myers 7-1/2 ' plow, up all the way. The temp would go up. After I put the optional clutch fan on , once temperature gets to about 210* , you can here the clutch fan start to roar. The temperature will start going down right away. Stops roaring at about 195*. It helped mine alot. I sold that truck last year.
  9. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

I eliminated the fan clutch on my old W-250 and solved the problem once and for all.
  10. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I had the same problem and thought it was the plow turned out to be my fan clutch, got it fixed and never runs hot...
  11. GravelMan

GravelMan Junior Member

I had the same problem on my 05 w/Hemi. I tried angling, height, etc, but very touchy. It turned out to be my fan clutch. When engine is hot, fan should NOT spin freely (with engine off). I replaced the fan clutch and helped alot, still goes higher than with no plow on, but never red-lines.

Theres so much change in airflow, u need a stiff clutch to pull air through the rad. Bigger rad wont fix problem, IMO, as the problem is getting the air through the rad. When I slowed down, engine temp would drop, so its got to be turbulence related.

Im thinking of putting some shrouds around the bottom of the engine so air wont rush in and throw the fan off. Im thinking it might also be cold air is swirling around back of fan and messing up the clutch temp sensor so clutch wont kick in when it should :dizzy:
  12. ROWDY

ROWDY Junior Member
    from Ohio

For some reason Dodge like to run engines quite hot. I have the HEMI in an 03 2500. Dealer mechanic said that it is designed to operate around 240 Deg. I myself don't like the idea of it that high but...? WhatI have done was installed a 180 T stat and electric fan. The organail T Stat is 203 deg. The 180 t stat works. The electric fan I can't say.