1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating blues (chevy 454)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KJ26, Jan 9, 2001.

1. KJ26

KJ26 Junior Member

Truck --1990 chevy 3500 4x4 454 auto,,air if it matters. Just got a free uni-mount western 7'6" footer. Truck overheats like mad. Don't matter if the blade is an inch off the ground or all the way up. I changed the thermostat went to a 180* still no help. Do they sell a straight fan for this thing ?? i think the clutch fan stinks or do i have other probs ????

2. NEAL

NEAL Member

How did you get a plow for free!! Maybe you already checked these things but here goes anyway.... Does your truck have the shroud in place around the fan? Do you have a body lift? Your fan clutch may be bad. Is your coolant mixed at the proper ratio? Maybe even the new thrmostat isnt working properly. Im not sure just some ideas.

Neal

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

On a 10 yr old rig I'd be checking the radiator,, the clutch fan "might" be bad,, I had one that would not drive the fan to any real speed, I replaced it and the problem went away.

4. bluebyu62

bluebyu62 Junior Member

i'm still learning about 90's trucks, but on all my mid 80's i put 160 thermostats in, and all the other guys have good points also. 160 will help out more than a 180

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A friend has a similiar truck and in addition to the aweful mileage he has also noticed that it runs hot. He put in a new radiato and an electric fan. Seems to have handles the problem.

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

On that year truck, there are a few possibilities.

1. Water pump. Have it checked to see if it's moving enough coolant.

2. I would definately recommend getting the cooling system flushed. This is one thing that most people don't do.

3. Check the radiator. I have seen a few cars/trucks with SOOO many bugs and crap on the front side of the radiator, it was amazing the thing would even run without overheating.

4. Thermostat. I know you put a 180 in, but try a 160.

Just my $0.02

-Tim

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

do you have a snow deflector on the plow, if not get one. Does it over heat at idle or when plowing. Or just when driving around with the plow on?
    Dino

8. PMU

PMU Junior Member

try disconnecting the fan clutch thermostatic spring coil
    and rotate that coil so that the fan clutch is allways
    engaged.

9. Mudrtrukr79

Mudrtrukr79 Junior Member

my 2 cents

When I had my towing service, my 85 454 had a lot of problems with overheating. When I finally decided I had enough of it, these are the steps I took to correct it , now Im not sure which one worked , or if it was all of them combined but when I was done my motor never got over 200 degrees and the truck was warm in the winter , no matter what I was towing.

Fan shroud - very important on a GM big block in a work truck.

Aluminum flex fan(clutchless) 5 or 7 blade fan if available

Electric cooling fan- now mine ran all the time when the key was on , but my partners wrecker was hooked up to a toggle and he used his only when the motor got warm

Trans cooler- less hot you have coming into the rad , less heat rad has to disperse.

4 CORE Rad- a little expensive but if the truck is your money maker, its well worth the extra cash outlay

Dan

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

KJ26,

I have the exact same truck, and to be honest it is a hot runner. They just didn't have the cooling capacity then. I think they re-engineered the cooling system later in the 90's. Things that I have done... 180 t-stat, dont go 160, not enough heat, and overheats QUICKER! I rewired my aux. electric fan to a remote switch. OEM fan relay engaged when it was already overheating, 230 or so, too late! I had a bigger core radiator with bigger fins installed. Also, I added an external trans cooler (Big one). From the factory all it had was a rad tank trans cooler!! THAT WAS IT!! My truck has HD towing package and snow plow package too! Crazy, maybe they forgot to put an external one on. Anyway, don't get rid of the clutch fan/stock 7 blade fan. They pull more air than any flex or electric anyday. Check that the clutch is engageing properly. they engage at 195 deg. or so stock. I think GM should have used the diesel radiator and holes in the bumper on the 454's as well to help cool it down.

Good luck and keep that plow low and angled!

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

WE just purchased an 89 k-30 with the 454, truck ran at 210 all the time. Previous owner who had the truck from new said that is where it ran from day one. We installed a 180 degree themostst, and it runs much cooler now, usually around 190, but pulling a grade with the plow on, will raise it a bit. The rad is a 3 core, but we have the manual trans, so no tranny heat issues.
    Dino

12. Stephen

Stephen Member

One of my dad's trucks had this problem, only it was a ford with a 9ft. fisher. One of the shop guys took and made a piece out of metal and bolted it on the plow to direct air into the radiator and you can hardly notice it. It is Kinda shaped like this: 1_____1 its got square sides, five inches high and abour 12 inches across and a foot long. Like what i tried to draw above but flip it over with the open end on the bottom. Anyway,I am not much of an artist and don't have any pics here to show, but it was real simple and it works great.

13. KJ26

KJ26 Junior Member

Thanks for all the help guys i replaced the clutch and now it's fine