1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overheating 6.0L 2004 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lynden-Jeff, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Just got back in from a 30 KM trip. I was going up a hill doing about 120 Km/h and at the top I noticed the check guage light was on and my engine temp was on red. I immediatly pulled over and within 10 seconds to stopping the heat needle had dropped to half way between good and red. I sat for another 5 minutes and then preceded to go and all seemed fine, I hope I caught it in time. What would do this? I had my snowplow on but have never had heating issues with it on before even at these speeds. Coolant level was fine. Any suggestions? Any possibly I did damage by overheating? One thing I noticed was a weird air Whooshing sound like you would hear on a big rig.

2. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

My O5 Did The Same Thing. It Was Just The Guage. I Didn't Get Any Warning Lights Or Bells. The Funny Thing Is It Would Only Heat Up With The Plow On. When I Took The Plow Off It Was Fine. After They Replaced The Guage Cluster Never Had A Problem Again. I Didn't Believe It Until They Swithched Things Out.
  3. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i had that problem on my 05, except mine was i didn't have a snow-plow prep package on the truck. I bought a fan clutch that comes on the snow-plow prep package from ford and i haven't had a problem since. takes about 1 hour to put the fan clutch in
  4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I picked up my plow with my buddies 05 F-550 and it did the same thing. It was flashing "check gauges" and it had cut the power output. It was my best guess that the t-stat just hadn't opened yet. When I called my buddy he confirmed it, sort of. He said he wasn't exactly sure, but that sounded right and that he knew it was something to do with the t-stat and it always does that. I'm assuming it just takes longer for those t-stats to open up because it takes a diesel longer to warm up. With the plow on it obviously warms up a lot faster. I was going about 60mph on the highway when it happened to me. I started pulling over when I looked at the gauge, and then the needle dropped way down. A classic sign of a t-stat opening to me. I just kept going and everything was fine.
  5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Snowman2025 is right ,I helped put his in.

My 06 does the same thing,if I stay at 55 it will work fine.You go 60 or more the fan will quit comming on.It has an electric clutch and I think the non plow prep fans just arnt made to come on at higher speeds because the normal airflow through the radiator will keep it cool.

The plow prep fan is made to come on sooner and operate at higher engine speeds.

For $295 you can solve the overheating problems.New fan clutch.

I think im gonna break down and buy one soon or stay under 55mph with the plow on.
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

If you could provide any info on that clutch fan that would be great, I want to be as pro-active as possible and it that thing is the ticket great, probably the best $ 295.00 one could spend.

Was it difficult to put on ??

Thank You
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

sparky, something is wrong with your buddies 550. Mine open up right away, never overheat\flash gauges etc before cooling down.

As has been asked, do you have the plow prep? If not, get that fan and clutch immediately.

Sounds like you were going too fast and not paying attention to the gauges, otherwise. The whooshing sound is your fan turning on.
  8. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

the fan clutch is not hard to put in at all. total of 6 bolts. (2) 8 mm and (4) 15 mm

the main fan shroud comes out all in one piece. you just unbolt the top two 8mm bolts that attaches it to the radiator and give it a good hard tug up. remember to tak off your coolant hoses going to the radiator at the top first. then reach around the shroud that attatches to the front of the engine and there are (2) 15 mm bolts on top and 2 on the bottom, unscrew those to get that loose and get big wrench, i think it was 1 7/8 " and unscrew the nut on the fan to get it off. The threads are normal right hand threads. disconnect the wiring harness going to the fan and pull the fan and that inner shroud out and switch the fan blades to the new clutch and slap it right back in. its good to have 2 people to help get things held and started. Took me and stangman somewhere around an hour to do it all.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Great directions, will give it a try :)
  10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I'm not sure if he does or not, I would assume he does since plowing is a large part of his business. He didn't seem to worried about it. He actually thought it was funny because every time I borrow something of his it's either out of fuel, a tire is ready to pop, etc. This time I had told him that I found a plow and I just need to got pick it up (I wasn't even asking him to borrow anything, just telling him that this guy wanted to charge me $100 to deliver it 45 miles.) So he tells me go to the shop and pick up his 550. I start it up and the water in fuel message is flashing and there's a plastic rag in the tank. And it was almost out of fuel. I was going to drain the water, but once again he says it's fine. So I go put fuel in, go down to pick up my plow, and it won't lift it. We messed around for an hour trying to get it to work and ended up just lifting it with a jack and short chaining it. I knew it was for a v-plow but was sure he said it would work fine. When I called him he was cracking up and said he forgot that one had the v set up and it won't work, and he met me at home depot and had one of his guys come by with a truck set up for a straight blade. That truck was lifted, so we ended up having to screw around to get it on that truck. I could go on and on with those kind of stories, but this is the only one that pertains to his truck overheating.