1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

overheated radiator support

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by earnies2, Dec 6, 2005.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

This is a new one on me. the other night while plowing the altonater crapped out, when i opened the hood to check the belt and wires i put my hand on the rad support right in front of the drivers side battery and it was hot:yow!: ???158 on my laser temp tool batt terminals were warm on both sides rad support was only hot for about a 12 inch area there is a fender ground there i took it off and cleaned it i also cleaned the area where the support and the fender attach all my battery cables are clean and tight truck starts and runs great I'm baffled:confused: ? I know its not right and if i don't fix it it will cause a problem at the worst tine any suggestions???????:gunsfiring: :eek:
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would clean and dielectric grease ALL your ground connections.
    Bad grounds can do funky things! Electricity takes the path of lest resistance.
    There are many ground points on most trucks. Look for the black wires bolted here and there. This could of been the only ground the whole truck has. Resistance causes heat and your flowing a lot of amps back and forth when plowing. Everthing that needs power needs a good ground. Just your headlights alone pull 14 amps all the time. Plus your cooling runs at 195 or so a convected(heat) or radiated (heat) could raise that part of metal to that temp.
    Your alternator could of died from old age or even a broken wire on the field lead from the regulator.
  3. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I checked all the grounds and cleaned them. it still gets hot only right in front of the battery on the drivers side whare the fender bolts to the support. I also ran another ground to the fender from the battery, it doesent get hot anyware else it is cool in front of the radiatator ? maby i'll change all my cables i'm just guessing and i hate guesing!!!!!:gunsfiring: :eek: