1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overhead Light Install Pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Hambrick & Co., Jan 20, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I recently hard wire my amber warning light and also include a quick disconnect for when I dont need to have the light on. I used the factory supplied switch located on the dash as well as the factory harness hidden above the drivers seat head liner. Pretty quick and painless install. More pics to follow

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

2. Hambrick & Co.

Here are the rest of the pictures.

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

3. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

I have been wanting to do this for a while, how hard was it to pull the headliner?

4. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

hey you dont need to pull the head liner you should be able to get to it by pulling the head liner down just a little on the drivers side. and if you want to make it look really nice pull out your third brake light and run the wires out then put it back in that way you dont have a wire running out the door ill try to get a pic of mine as soon as i can

5. Hambrick & Co.

Depending how you want to run the light (constant/perminant wire/quick connect) and where your mounting the light. Just pull down the head liner a little above the drivers seat. You are looking for a wire loop aproximatley 2-3 inches in from the edge of the roof line. Once you find it pull the wire until it comes free (it is taped at the end to the roof). I think there was about 2 feet of wire up there. Once you get the wire out you can go to town.

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good

7. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

thanks, im looking to make it a quick disconect so I could use my amber light for plowing and my blue light for the FD.

8. Hambrick & Co.

Gotcha good luck!:drinkup:

9. Hambrick & Co.

Sorry thats what I meant I just pulled it down enough to get my hand in there. I would like to see your pics do the wires just hang out by the third break light on the out side? What type of connectors do you use? I would rather the wires be out of the way of the door. But the way I have it now works so far. :drinkup:

10. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

I would get some insulated connectors to avoid any spark shows.

11. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

you could of ran the wire in through the 3rd brake light

12. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

what color was the wire that you hook into that controls the factory switch, I have been wanting to do it to my plow truck forever, I tried before, but just wasn't sure if I had found the correct wire.

13. Hambrick & Co.

The switch is already pre wired from the factory, the wire is directly above the drivers seat (about two feet (Black)) above the headliner. You do not have to take down the entire head liner you can just pull it down a little and grab it. Its to the left of the "B" Post. Hope this helps.

14. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Does + and -- matter ? looks like the wires are not color coded for pos and negative.

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

For halogen and incandescent lighting polarity doesn't matter. Strobes and LED's it does.

16. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up, but won't they rotate backwards if pos and neg switched LOL

17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I agree gets some or put electrical tape on them while in use. Or you could have a fire if they touch or you will be replacing fuses alot. I ran mine out the slider.

18. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Correct, but which way is the correct rotation? I say who cares as long as they flash:jester:

19. Hambrick & Co.

The power wire is thicker and has raised groove coating, the neg is much thinner.