1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overhead Console Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by markq, Sep 28, 2005.

1. markq

markq Member

Does anyone know if/where I can get an insert for the overhead console area for my truck '04 GMC Sierra...I have sen some for '01-'02, but dont know if those will fit. I will try and post pics to show exactly what I mean, if its not clear enough. I want a blank console insert that I can mount switches in.

Thanks for the help!!!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think most people just make theirs.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GM parts direct sells them. They are called blanks and are mostly installed
    in 'Burbs w/o rear a/c. Your dealer can order you one also...........

4. markq

markq Member

*_*_*_*_

I spoke to 2 local dealres, and they both told me that GM does not make anythign to fit my truck. I also spoke to a couple of online GM part dealers and heard the same thing.

Has anyone here made their own...and if so, how did you mount it? I want to be able to mount it, but also take it off to return the truck to the stock appearance if I need to....I dont want to screw into the console or anythign permanent.

Thanks for the help guys!

5. sonjaab

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Geo
    You might want to take a look at that picture.

Mike

7. sonjaab

8. flykelley

That's better George. It looks like that overhead console is not a 04 or 05 truck. No push button switch's to turn on the map light.
    Look like it should work though. When I had my overhead console down I tried to take it apart so I would not have to cut the back of the storage compartment. The thing has what we call a heat sink to keep it in place, a basic plastic rivet that after it is put together they then melt the river head.

Regards Mike

9. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

10. markq

markq Member

I wish it was that easy.........

Thanks for the idea gearhead, but I already contacted them, and they said that it will not fit on the '04 model of truck. Anyone else have anything?

11. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Have you tried searching on Ebay?

I've been looking for an overhead console with Homelink controls for one of my vehicles, and it seems like there are always quite a few consoles for sale on Ebay. In most cases they seem to sell for only for about $30-40, plus shipping.

Bruce

12. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

all of the overhead consoles from 01 to 05 are the same unless you have the sunroof option, at least that is what I was told.

13. markq

markq Member

thats interesting.....where did you hear this?

I appreciate all help from everyone, but i think I'm going another way.

I ordered a new blank cover for the area next to the radio where the on/off switch is for the pasenger airbag. I am going to put the switches there, and keep the stock blanks so that when I take the lights off of the truck, I can put them back to stock.

Does anyone know how to get the dash off? Is is bolted, screwed, or does it just pop off? I dont want to tear anythign up, and I've never taken the dash off of it before.

Thanks again for everyones help!!!

14. flykelley

I do not believe thats true. Here is a way to check that, call a GM dealer and ask for the part number for a 01 truck and ask for a part number for a 05. I think that the 01-03 did not have map lights built into them. My 05 has map lights and there is no blank from GM for it. You can not even take the little storage compartment out of it because it is put together with heat sinks. The Dealer can tell you what year part will fit what year truck.

Regards Mike

15. flykelley

Mark
    there are two piece's you will need to take off to access that switch area. The lower panel is held in with screw's at the bottom, 4 or 5 7mm screws. Take those out and give it a gentle tug. Next is the bezel around the cluster. It just pulls loose but you have to put the truck in drive or the bezel hits the shifter. Its pretty simple.

Good Luck Mike

16. Cobra#3747

Cobra#3747 Junior Member

17. greatlakessnow

greatlakessnow Junior Member

overhead blank

markq, try a car stereo shop the will make a blank for you cheap.they have black blank material for custom apps.