1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overhauling a V box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, May 19, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I have a Curtis V box that is starting to show it's age. Over the weekend I removed the top screen, chain, all the lights, motor, pumps, ect. I am going to repair any rusted through spots (rusted through only on the bottom channel iron where it holds the "box" to the rails) then have it sand blasted and either power coated or re-painted.

I guess my question is what would you do, re-paint with some sort of "tough" paint or spent the extra and have it power coated?

And I forgot to take pics before I pulled everything apart, I guess too much :drinkup:

Bossman

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

rust

well if your going to blast it ,and willing to pay the money ,powder coat would last better than paint if you prep it right ! the surface life time is only as good as the prep .:waving:

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

x2 on that

4. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I rebuilt mine last year and I had it blasted and powder coated for 700 bucks and it included a heavier coat of powder. I run bulk salt and the spreader held up well so far

5. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

IVE NEVER REDONE ONE YET BUT WOULD LINE-X OR RHINO LINE HOLD UP....... ANYWAYS GOOD LUCK DONT FORGET PICS OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT:drinkup:

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I elminated the need by going to stainless spreaders. The $1000 you spend overhauling it could be is more then the difference between a mild steel and stainless one new.

I also have gone to all electric spreaders.

I just "overhauled" my oldest stainless spreader. Its 6 years old. It got all new bearings, drive chains and sprockets, and a new spinner shaft That's all it needed froms spreading straight salt and sand mix. Maybe was $200.

7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

X2 on stainless! Our Air-Flo is going on 7 years and have yet to replace anything other than a clutch and the #40 chains....Grease, Grease... Did I mention grease

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I decided to sand and paint it myself. After looking into it for awhile I decided that I would just buy some grinding wheels and wire wheels and spend some time on it. I am using a rustolium primer 2 coats then plan on finishing with a rustolium paint. I have some pics that I will load today. If salt wasn't so expensive right now I would just buy a stainless spreader and be done. I think I will be close to $300 when all is said and done, not bad if I can make it last another 2 years.

Bossman