1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Overdrive "OFF" light blinking?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by aperfcrcle, Feb 11, 2013.

1. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

Hey guys, 2002 7.3 powerstroke just started having the overdrive off light blink.. The truck still shifts as it should, but I called my mechanic and he said that only happens when something is internally wrong with the transmission but he cant look at it until tomorrow. I have plenty of work to do and would like to plow a bit with it tonight to make some extra dollars... is this a good idea? I really dont think the truck needs a new trans. it only has 70k miles on it and like i said it shifts fine, trans temp is normal.. Thanks in advance.

2. NewImgLwn&Lndsc

NewImgLwn&Lndsc Senior Member

Have you had any issues witb your speedometer jumping around at all?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Means there is a code stored for the tranny. Could be as simple as a bad sensor or harness. Could be something internal. Just know that driving it could cause more damage. When mine had an issue with sticking valve in valve body but this affected the shifting.

4. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

speedo is not jumping that I noticed.. it doesnt flash all the time just randomly. I am at a loss, but like Kimber said, I dont want to cause more damage if something happens to be wrong..

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Check to make sure there is no water/moisture intrusion at the main trans plug. My buddy just had this happen on his 00 and it was throwing a trans temp code and turned out that there was just moisture at the plug. He disconnected it and put in some dielectric grease and reconnected it and hasn't had a problem since.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Why I bought myself a Code Reader Nice having a reader
    My 02 did that this year flashing it was a netural Switch fuse was bad

7. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

ya i should think about getting a code reader.. its at the mechanic now. It shifted fine the whole way there and just blinked leaving the driveway.. got to be a bad connection or sensor.. something stupid.. i hope..

8. Antlerart06

I bought mine Code Reader after letting a truck set all nite in a lot
    Then dragging it to a shop finding out it was a simple fix the guy had it fix in 10 mins but cost 50 for them check codes and 25 plugging a wire back up
    I knew then time for a code reader of my own
    But a code reader doesnt always help but does rule out things

I bought one reads OB2 96 and newer reads SRS and ABS codes with live feed

Work good on my Dually 5.4 it had a miss but no check light was on Hook it up running Showed number 5 wasnt fireing like the other 7 was The coil pack had a crack replace it and its running smooth again

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What did you get? I'd love to get an inexpensive one that can pull ABS codes.

For engine codes and some transmission codes, you can usually get them pulled for free at a parts store.

10. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

just got the call, needs a new neutral safety switch. $290. Im a happy man

11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's always good news. I had a '97 that would act up from time to time, making me think sometimes I needed a tranny or a torque converter. What I figured out was that the harness plugs on the tranny would get water & grime inside of them sometimes after long heavy snow events. Pulling each plug, cleaning w/ some break fluid, blowing out w/ air & applying some dielectric grease oftentimes solved those problems.

12. Antlerart06

Yep for free at part stores But they have to be open to use it and drive the truck there

The one I bought Equus innova 31603 ABS/SRS + OBDII I paid $229.95 ship to me

13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

14. RSE

RSE Member

Mine blinks only when I use low gear for more than 15-20 mins straight. I shift back into high and tool down the road and it stops blinking in like 5 mins. Never caused any problems, I am just aware of how long I use low gear.

15. theholycow

Why are you driving down the road in low?

16. RSE

RSE Member

Using low gear...like plowing a hill, tight quarters or pushing back piles.

17. theholycow

I see. It sounded like you were tooling down the road in low, then only shifted out of low once the light came on.

18. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

My light has been flashing for about 2 mouths....It starts as soon as I turn on the truck.....Its going to the shop next weekend lets hope it something cheap....Seems to drive ok shifts hard....I just have not had the cash to get it fixed.

19. salopez

salopez Senior Member

whats odd with my 99 350 is it blinks only in park. put it in drive and she is good to go. haven't put a scanner on it yet, and didn't start until i had the tranny re-built.

20. Antlerart06

Yep my Innova does that I didnt have to sign up on nothing Mine normal sells for 400+ I found it on ebay over stock

Fordtruck661 Your problem could be a fuse or could be netural switch and looking at 300 part+labor