1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over weight trucks and US

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by REAPER, Jan 28, 2011.

1. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Well got "talked to" by a State cop yesterday while out.

I know this has been talked about and wanted to say what I was told directly.

Salting a McDonald's yesterday I saw a state trooper in a SUV eating lunch and noticed a squad car in the drive thru. Did not think anything of it at the time. Went across the street to salt another area and just about when I was done guess who pulls in.

He asked if I knew my B plate was only good up to 8,000 pounds. I played stupid and mentioned GVW on the door sticker. He informed me that if he had his portable scales he would be weighing me and taking me to the scales. I was lets say "loaded" at the time.

Was not because of sag or anything being un-safe or anything simply the plate designation. He told me he started noticing last year pick-ups with v-box salters and over the summer did his own research and this year started writing tickets. 10 in the last 2 weeks he mentioned.

He was a nice guy and I was upbeat when talking to him telling him I appreciated the education and asked him a few questions. His advice was to simply get a D plate or get rid of the v-box because ALL of Illinois will start cracking down on this and word is being spread about the different agency's in law enforcement.

From his mouth and what HE said will be enforced.

B plate = 8,000 pounds. No ifs ands or butt's.
    D plate = 16,000 pounds

If you trailer anything they will then go by the combined weight of the 2 plate ratings (truck+trailer) over 10,000 pounds and you will need a CDL and med card.

2500HD GVWR up to 9,600 but unless your truck is actually unsafe they go by the plate rating not the door sticker.
    BUT
    3500/350 and up if it has a GVWR of 10,000 and up a CDL is required if you have a D plate if a B plate is on a 3500/350 it better be 8,000 pounds or under.

We talked for a while , mainly because he ran my plate and license and checked insurance. He commented when he noticed I had a fire extinguisher and tool box in the truck I should just go ahead and get a D plate tag as it will pass the safety lane with no problem just as it sets.

He was a real nice guy and only warned me, but he did say, it is a warning, BE CAREFUL!!! :realmad:

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Oh yeah.

I mentioned since I was on a privet lot could I not just empty my salter on the lot there by not over weight when I pulled out on the road.
    He told me that since he saw me pull in the lot if I emptied out it could be tampering with evidence. :eek:

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Um..............NO.

4. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

Just to clarify, a D plate in IL is rated to 12,000#, a F plate is rated to 16,000#. As long as your not pulling a trailer you can drive any SINGLE vehicle up to 16,000#.

This has been talked about and talked about over and over again.

Alot of officers do not really know the law, so they say what they think. Im not saying this officer did that.

Bottom line, we all know we should be running bigger plates then we do to be legal. Bigger plate=more money, saftey sticker, PITA.

I run a B truck plate on my chevy 2500HD with a snow ex V-Maxx8500. Im just waiting for my day, only thing is Im friends with the local police.

On my dump truck with a door sticker of 12,500# I had to run a F plate, good til 16,000#. Truck weighs 9500# empty, with salter on, I can get just about 3 tons in the truck and be under 16,000#.

Just food for thought.

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you didnt see that 1 coming they are always right

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Forget the trailer, lemme get this straight, if the hd has a mfg gvwr of 9600lbs, and with all equip and load of salt, say you would scale 15000lbs as long as your plate sticker was over 15k he would letyou go? That goes to show you they are just after their money. Here in ohio our stickers go in increments of 4k, so 10k, 14k, 16 etc... All mine are 14 or 16 depending on the truck

7. DistinctiveDave

I thought it was a combined weight of 26,000# truck and trailer plates. My buddy and I just talked about this a week ago.

8. DistinctiveDave

Yes, they want money, from what I was told, if you are over the GVW on your truck, but under on your registration weight, you can only get an "unsafe vehicle" ticket, which is an equipment violation and doesnt go against your driving record.

So yes, ILLINOIS needs money cause they spend too much.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is. He has two different parts of the code confused.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Just stating what HE told me and what HE would be going by. As to what the actual law is. We did not have the SOS rules of the road book in hand.

As far as friends with the local. We do some of the local Cull-de-sacs and roads. Get our liquid from the city. This was State Troopers and do not care who the local guys are.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes and yes.

12. DistinctiveDave

I understand, thats why I said each officer says something different. Some of the overweight laws just changed this year.

Also, I dont worry about the local guys, but everyonce in a while I see the state police out on Route 64 by me, so I just take the back roads.

Also, did you guys know that driving around with your hitch in your reciever without a trailer is illegal Illinois now and will warrant a $75 ticket!:eek:

13. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

make sure you add the weight of the trailers you pul to the GVWR of the truck, you may need to up them. i have to sticker my 1 ton dumps for 22K to be legal with the trailers.

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

He did say other officers read things differently but this is what he is going by.

This was in Elgin around Big Timber and Rt 31 with I 90 being close by.

15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

what if you have a hitch like i have on my dumps, it the ball pintle combo that is bolted to the truck?

16. DistinctiveDave

I thought about that myself. My dump truck doesnt have that setup, but thats a good question.

You dont have to worry about it unless you move here, if I remember Ill ask my police friends.

We also have that great tinted window law, but most of my local buddies wont pull anyone over specifically for that. Just dont drive thru Winfield with tinted windows, they will get you everytime.

They did change that law for a while, but changed it back to no tint. Illinois is a messed up state, time to move!

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I believe I did get that mixed up
    10,000 on truck and 16,000 on trailer combined (26k)would need a med card. BUT if the truck has a GVWR of over 10,000 AND a D plate a CDL is required just for the truck.

18. DistinctiveDave

I dont think that it correct. If you look at your DL, it says any single vehicle up to 16,000#.

19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

''Also, did you guys know that driving around with your hitch in your reciever without a trailer is illegal Illinois now and will warrant a $75 ticket!''

What if your trailer ''simply'' disconnected from the hitch?I guess then that would be 2 ''accidents.'':D

I thought NY only has stupid laws,guess I was wrong.

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I think a lot of people should go and weigh in, fuel tank of fuel, plow on the front...my guess is spreader or not 8k is pushing it.