1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

over temp problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by traviswalker007, Oct 28, 2006.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

hey guys, i just picked my plow up from the service shop and have a problem with the engine getting hot, real hot. if i drive at 60mph it gets hot and the light comes on, if i slow down to 50mph or so it cools down a bit but not much, i have had the plow in all 3 directions and still does not make a diffrence. if i stop and park it cools itself down in a minute or two....what gives. also the plow seems to be tilted on the drivers side a bit is that normal for a western uni-mount plow...need help

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The plow is blocking the air flow to the engine, what type truck? Also the plow companys don't want you driving over 45 mph I think with the plow on. Look on the web site for your type plow.

Regards Mike

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am guessing this is a Chevy or GMC as this problem is common in these for some reason more than others.

What I have seen from others on the board here is getting a new fan clutch. They do sell a after market air deflector but I am not sure it would mount to your plow frame or not. I use to use one on a older(89) GMC I had with a western plow on it. But that was when the pump and lights stayed on the truck and you mounted it to the bracket for the ram arm.

Otherwise i would say just drive under 45 MPH like I do with my GMC if I have to use it because I have the same problem with that truck. If I ever have the plow on it now though it is because of a emergency and snow is on the ground already so i wouldn't drive it that fast anyway.

I have drove to Michigan and back with my blade on my Ram but i would never do it in the GMC and when I did have that truck as my primary truck and made the trip the plow was in the bed because it would never make the trip otherwise. On my Ram there is no difference at all in temps running 65 MPH

4. traviswalker007

silverado

its a 2003 silverado 3500 with a dump bed. can i chage the theromstat to a 160temp or something...i drive about a 75 mile round trim on my plow accounts. will the dealer be able to help me or is that a waste of time...this is ridicouls...it has a plow package??

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I've seen more people putting wind scoops on the plows to direct some air flow to the rad. it's and idea. or try traveling with the plow down a little enough to clear the ground, but low enough it's not blocking all the rad. I know mine gets a little hot, I normally drop the plow a little, and it cools right down.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  6. flykelley

There is a SB out on alot of the HD trucks. Do a serch here for chevy's overheating. They need to replace the fan clutch if I remember right.

Regards Mike

7. flykelley

This is a old number not sure its still good.

TSB 07-05-97 this is the service bulletin number your dealer should look up.

P100678 which stands for Pelimanary Info

Part number for new fan clutch 22149894

Good Luck Mike

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have a Western Unimount on a Gmc. The plow sits level, if your frame is ok and the adjustments are proper. As far as the overheating, Definately change the fan clutch. I have no problems with mine, but I also have a 4 core radiator. What type of rad fluid you got in it? I replaced my 3 core, with a 4 core, and run the newer Dexcool in it. I can drive down the road 70mph with the plow on. No problems. Just some advice, to check. Might help you. Good luck

9. traviswalker007

over temp and plow

its not bent i dont think, if i raise it about 4 inches of the ground and rotate it left to right the left side corner will touch, but the right side corner doesnt. it has a piviot pin in the center im thinking it could be worn a bit on one side, plow does have alot of play, but im thinking it should? i cheked around for the over temp problem, im taking it in on monday to get the fan clutch checked. i did a serch on line, but found no results for similiar issues with the 3500 4x4, it has dual batterys witch means it has a plow package, so why wouldnt it have a heavy duty fan??? was that an option or something...thanks to all for your help...

10. flykelley

Even if it had plow prep there is a problem with the fan clutch, make sure you give your dealer that TSB number and ask him to look it up. A guy that subs for me has a 04 that had the same problem, brand new truck 2 years ago and would over heat. Dealer put new and better fan clutch in and his problem went away. ITS THE FAN CLUTCH AMD DON'T LET THE DEALER TELL YOU ITS NOT. There have been many threads on plowsitre about this and each and evryone was a bad fan clutch.

Good Luck Mike

11. traviswalker007

fan clutch

went to dealer and he said it had two much play, he is going to check on the TSB and hopefully repair it. thanks guys..