1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over Salting Anyone?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SkykingHD, Mar 5, 2006.

1. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Have you ever seen a lot that was over salted? Do you over salt? What would you do if an employee over salted?

I have enclosed a few pictures of a local school system that I believe over salted. This picture was taken 4 days after the snow event.

As a tax payer, snow removal - salting company employee I see the waste. The damage to asphalt, ground water and the waste is not a good thing.

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i agree that is over salting and definitely unnecessary, but salt will not hurt asphalt.
  3. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

Its the freeze/thaw that hurts the asphalt......when water perks into pavement then freezes. It expands then breaks up the asphalt....the start of a pothole.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Looks like after the storm there was some black ice or leftover water spots that froze. Guess they really wanted to make sure nobody slips
  5. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I would rather over salt than under salt.
  6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I had some lots look like that last week when we got a glaze of freezing rain sat sh!t is hard to get to melt off
  7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Gotta agree with that.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

no one slips!

It looks like they could slip and fall on the salt! I feel the target is to spread the "required" amount of salt to melt the snow and ice. Our drivers are trained to spread the amount of salt to melt the snow and ice on the parking lot at the present temperature. Our customers would be on the phone calling us complaining if we left a lot in that condition.

9. badranman

badranman Senior Member

He didn't oversalt on the last event, he just pretreated for the next one!:rolleyes:
  10. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

must be charging by the granule !!!:rolleyes:
  11. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Two things.
    #1-Better to be safe than sorry
    #2-I do agree that's definitely over salted
    Skyking- bring a couple guys with brooms and shovels to that lot and fill up your V-boxes LOL;)
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It is the end of the season you have to get rid of it some how!:rolleyes:
  13. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

This is true I still have about 7 tons left in my pile and find myself finding putting down a little more than extra to make sure its all gone. :nod:
  14. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

I was thinking maybe this guy had a "extra" bill this month :cool: ????

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

$50.00 in salt is cheaper than a 50k law suit

16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

one of my biggest pet peives is seeing that white chalk all over a lot after storms
  17. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We have a property management company that calls us for two or three days after every storm complaining that their saidewalks are covered in ice. The ice and snow on the roofs of the condo complex melts and then freezes overnight on the sidewalks, so it really has nothing to do with us becuase after every storm we have plowed and salted properly. We charge one price for the season. We still go back and salt for several days without and additional charge, just to keep them happy and so they re-new with us next year. Then we got a call that they are complaining about too much salt and they wanted us to send a crew over to sweep the parking lot to remove the extra salt... :cry:

Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Now we just leave a 50lb bag in the hallway and tell the management company that the tennants or super will have to help spread some salt on the sidewalks in the mornings until the snow melts off the roof. We got sick of all the extra work and complaints and not being able to please anybody. When the tennants dig out their cars, they even pile the snow on the sidewalks that we just cleaned. The management company calls us and then tell me that our guys didn't do a good job on the sidewalks. What can you do? :angry:
  18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

white chalk

The white chalk and the salt grains on lot is also something I don't like either. Anyone can put down salt but to spread the correct amount is a real skill. The ground water run off is not good when it is loaded with salt either. I see lots of vegetation killed because of over salt too.

I guess the color of salted parking lot shows the skills of the salt truck driver.

19. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that.
    Keep tight tabs on the amount of time & material that you are burning on this project. Politely explain next season why the price is going up 20% or so. Be prepared to find other work to replace them when they don't renew. This is a loaded game that you are not allowed to win. THEY KNOW what it costs to do the place. They will just keep looking for quotes that are the cheapest, run the contractor dry and move on to the next one. That's how they make their living and justify their existence. I hate to be a downer but it took us 15 years to figure this out.
  20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That might be over salted for this time of year. If it were January it would be fine. We salt our commercial stuff as soon as it starts snowing so if you have that much down you will not need to salt right away and you will save labour and equipment costs for the next salting. You also won't have to jump when you see the first snowflake.