1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over night treated salt test

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by leigh, Jan 10, 2017.

1. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

Usually keep truck inside shop when done salting.Decided to take home and see how the salt held up.6 degs and salt was fairly loose,the pile was a big lump but broke up easily.I keep my salt inside and usually don't load salt until snow stops so it was a dry load.It seems the key is to keep it dry,which is sometimes a challenge.If this was untreated it would have been a big rock.Still amazed at the ability to burn down to bare pavement at crazy low temps,had puddles at 10 degs!
    salt 2.jpg

2. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

that looks like sand?... whats the salt treated with?

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Dry salt is the key!

I got in a heated debate years ago with the local towns "city employees", the township guys, my guys, and a few others.

Ended up at the end of the night, my shop's beer fridge and freezer had no more beer in it, but a ton of coffee cans full of every "senerio" of salt you could dream up.

Dry salt did not bridge, freeze together, nothing. Just poured right out of the coffee can a week later.

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Thats interesting! Our salt distributor just got a big load of pretreated salt. Thinking about using it when the temps get ridiculously low or nights like tonight we just got hit with quite a lot of ice.

5. Philbilly2

Treated will still freeze together in a salter if wet when loaded.

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  6. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

Just the generic treated salt from the terminal,probably cal,and some vegetable additive,smells like molasses.

7. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

Sure does! That's why if the timings right I wait to load salt after it stops snowing.I'd say 75% of the time I start plowing after snowfall ends .If I load up during snowfall I load as little as is needed . Plus plowing with 5 tons of salt isn't my idea of a good time! Many don't have an option,have to load when supplier is open.Its a challenge to keep dry and any left over becomes a brick depending on temps.I had some wet treated harden up around my auger inside my heated shop!

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Especially if the water content of the additive is too high.

On a Call likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Looks like ours that we treat with GeoMelt\beet juice.

Which reminds me.....

10. Philbilly2

Oh god... don't bring the word additive into this thread... :confused:

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Beat juice that is the answer :)

Sure it is...Not IMO.

When temps drops to 10 or so it will crust up. Dry is the answer.

Also....I would love to some day own a heated floor in my salt bin.

12. Mark Oomkes

We've been using it since 1982. Dry salt AND beet juice is the key. But still, a crust is far better than a solid block of salt in a spreader.

13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 2000 Club Member

Why would you want a heated floor???...To attract moisture???...The floor is heated...But the ground underneath is not...Does not seem like a very bright idea

Mark Oomkes and FredG like this.
  14. Defcon 5

I just put some Polar Power in the Cat...I will wait for Snoexpert to chime in and call me a No good useless poop flinging Union Monkey...

Mark Oomkes and Philbilly2 like this.
  15. Philbilly2

Pretty sure the concrete would blow up too.

16. Defcon 5

Between the Very Hungry Treated Salt and The Concrete...You would have a nuclear reaction...

17. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

Thats how I heat my shop-30 tons of hungry salt on concrete floor creates massive amounts of heat,i leave all the doors open and it stays a constant 75deg. The other day I had a herd of deer camping out in my shop enjoying the warmth and the molasses salt lick!:eek:

18. Mark Oomkes

Spread some beet juice treated salt this morning on our flash freeze, Shirley do love that stuff. Days like today I can cut my usage almost in half because it works so dang good.

GrassManKzoo and On a Call like this.
  19. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

If Shirley likes it, what more can be said !

20. Defcon 5

Alot...But most of it will get deleted

On a Call likes this.