1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

over loaded front end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ServiceOnSite, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

ok now i know boss says you cant put a 8.2 v on the front of an 06 gmc 2500hd diesel crewcab. but i had a 8 ft superduty or there last year and the truck handeled it fine. i have timbrens on the front end and 3-4 turns in the torsion bars. today i put on the v plow that i just bought. when the plow is all the way back the shoes scrape the ground while driving down the road. i know there are people out there who run this combo. and for what i paid for this plow i couldnt afford not to buy it lol ( at least thats what i told my girlfriend)
    so my question is this aside from cranking the tbars all the way and the truck riding like crap, what else is out there?:dizzy:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How low are the shoes?
    Next, straighten the plow just a little so it does not hit the ground going over bumps.
    Then give the bars a crank or two, I bet the Boss weights a few #'s more.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with SnowFarmer. You tb's need a few more turns. A 8'2 Boss shouldn't hit the ground on the road. My 9'2's hit, if you don't straighten them a bit.

4. ServiceOnSite

most of the people i see driving around drive with the blades back towards the truck. when i do that they hit the ground. it just seems like the front end needs to come up in the air more. i dont wanna crank up the tbars all the way up and ride like crap. air there air bags or the different keys that you put in the tbars. im just not to sure which way to go.wesport

5. ServiceOnSite

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

7. ServiceOnSite

similar along the lines i guess. has any one ran the keys that you put in the front end to get 2inches of lift. better idea im guessing.

8. ServiceOnSite

no one here has the torsion keys that claim 2 inces of lift??:dizzy:

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

All that is really going to do is put your CV joints at a bad angle. Do you know how many turns you have on the TBars? Also don't forget to add ballast to the back of your truck. This will help transfer some of the weight and bring the front end up higher.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The keys that are in your truck will most likely give you enough lift. I agree with what William B said , the more you crank your tb's the harder it is on your front end. You want to have basically straight cv angles for plowing, when your bars are cranked the cv's are on a huge angle and it also causes alot more stress on your pitman and idler arms.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have installed a few sets of lift keys. not to bad a job if not frozen in from solid rust.

and on that note. all but 1 set is out and not in the truck anymore. thay ride like crap and eat front end parts. go get some heavyer tbars and swap in if you are going to go this route.

and use some ballest in the back tto help. this is the real fix. not the bandaid like lift keys and such.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Do this simple test, I did.

hang your plow on your truck.
    next measure the hight of your truck.
    (I measured at the front wheel well)

Now add your ballast/counterweight behind the rear wheels.

I have a bossV and I added #800lb the rear went down and the front came up a whopping

"1inch"

Then I added my snow-blower ,ice melt another 300#, shovel miscellaneous gear and still the front did not come up much.

The ballast/ counterweight is not meant to lift the front but to balance out the truck.

The fix: the proper torsion bars and the proper plow.
    Springs or torsion bars it does not matter you may need stiffer ones.

With stiffer ones you can maintain your drive-line geometry and carry the added weight.

or turn up the bars for the winter, (the plow will drop the front back down so your drive-line is in line)
    then in the spring turn them back down.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Think of this.... If she sags, the torsion bar crank will just go up to normal hight, so in reality the CV angles should be OK.

Second or I should say first, you need to add ballast that will raise up the front. But with the diesel engine and massive plow to counter weight you need allot... I thinking about 1000 pounds behind the rear wheels.

14. ServiceOnSite

yaz i see that you have a similar set as i have. i dont think what i put on the front of my truck is all that uncommon. how much weight do you run in your bed.
    i went down to a local gmc dealer and asked them if they sell i heavy duty torsion bar up grade and said no. its the same part # what in my truck to a 3500. the only difference from a 3500 to 2500hd is the bed has another rib in it for more weight, theres no crewcab short box configuration, and a few more leafs in the rear end. but they share the same torsion bars up front.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you know what bars are in your truck and you told them, or they ran the VIN for you,or they looked themselves, they may have flat out lied to you. The 2500HD's and the 3500's can have the same bars but it just depends on how the truck was optioned. To say that all HD's and 3500's always share the same bars insn't true. Do you know the code letters on your bars? As you may be able to upgrade to a stiffer bar than your currently running....

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

All the diesels 2500s have the 4800# bars from what I'm told, so I think they might be right.

You can add more weight in the back of 3500 to counter weight the plow that can't do with a 2500. Also the axials are different with a dually in the front too. That all goes into consideration with the FAWR.

I have been experimenting with ballast amounts. At first I had about 800# of sand bags. I got away with 300 lbs last season and she only sags under 1" at the mirrors when I lift my plow, less know than my buddy 05 6.0 Ford.
    I have to unload it between storms so I know I'm light, but my back is killing me!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Let me clear this up just a bit as this is a common misunderstanding when talking about GAWR and all the different torsion bar ratings..SOS is asking about the torsion bar capacity, not the GAWR. 4800# is the suspension capacity, NOT the bar capacity. You can have 2 different trucks that both have a FAWR of 4800lbs but they can still have 2 different torsion bar ratings which would mean he could go up to a heavier bar than what's currently under the truck now (depending on which bars are under the truck now of course), in order to better support the weight of a heavy plow. So unless they checked the bar codes, you could still go up in bar capacity, 4800lbs GAWR or not.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  18. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

That's why I purchased a ford superduty. I heard they were the best trucks to plow with so I am going to test that out this season.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Let me guess a Ford guy told you they were the best.

20. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I will be honest. No it wasn't. It was a former owner of a gmc that I work with.