1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over Heating

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mike2043, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mike2043

Mike2043 Junior Member
    from NY

Hi Guy's.

New guy from NY here.

I have a new Boss plow on my 02 GMC w/6.0L. When traveling with the plow up my temperature goes all the way up. I usually catch it and lower the plow and get it cooled down.

My question is would a flex fan help with this problem. I really don't want to put in an electric pan system.

My thinking is the flex will pull in a lot more air then the clutch fan. It was 8 degrees this morning when I went out & it heated up. I don't plow commercially. I only do 4 driveways.

What do you guy's think?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

How big of a Boss. I plowed with an '02 until I bought the '10. 8' super duty straight and never overheated. I would make sure the fan you have is working properly and the shroud is present and not damaged as well as backflush the cooling system before I spent any money on add ons.

3. Mike2043

Mike2043 Junior Member
    from NY

It's the 7.5 footer. The shroud is in place. I'll have to check and see how the clutch is working. It use to only do it when the temp. was above 40 degrees but,t today it was 8 degrees and it did it.

4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Check for corrosion on the temp switch

5. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

Did/does your truck come with plow prep package? If it did it would have the heavy duty fan clutch intalled that allows it to stay engaged longer to pull more air. If truck didnt come with plow prep, just replace yours with a new heavy duty unit if you suspect the one on there is faulty.

6. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

On second thought, you may want to post this in the chevy truck section. There are a couple guys there that really know their stuff. I am a marine mechanic but was an ASE mechanic a jillion years ago. It seems to me that the clutch was activated by the coolant temp switch but I could be way wrong.

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Change to fan clutch to a heavy duty one and I bet your problem goes away.

8. Mike2043

Mike2043 Junior Member
    from NY

9. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I always use OEM, but thats just me. I would replace the circulating pump while your in there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This :nod:

11. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Yeah, I meant oem heavy duty. Not necessarily oem standard. You can check the RPO codes in the glove box to see if you have the plow prep package. Also I believe that the aux lights button only comes with the snow plow prep package. So if you dont have the light switch you may not have the heavy duty fan.

12. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I believe VYU is the RPO code for an 02 chevy. It may have also come with the trailering package but not sure.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Mike2043

Mike2043 Junior Member
    from NY

I do have the aux light button. I have the full specs for the truck at home. Ill have to look it up when I get home.

14. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Even if you have plow prep, that doesn't mean that your fan clutch isn't worn out. I had one that was real bad on my 1993 chevy 2500, no overheating unless the plow was on, but after you drove it, you could freewheel the fan clutch by hand, there was no resistance whatsoever. New fan clutch, problem solved.

Also, you can replace the water pump while you're there if you want, but sometimes you can replace the fan clutch without even taking the belt off. The pumps don't really go bad-they eventually leak out the seal, so if it's not leaking, no real reason to replace it.

15. Mike2043

Mike2043 Junior Member
    from NY

I'll spin it in the morning. Dark & cold here now.

Guy's, thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow.

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

clutch
    heavy duty have the squared off fins and reg duty they are tapered