1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over heating?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowbill, Feb 27, 2013.

1. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

I have a 2012 Silverado regular cab short box with the 4.3L V6. I did not get the plow package. I have a Fisher 7" 6" SD plow. When plowing the temperature goes from the normal of 210 degrees to about 235 degrees on the gauge. The transmission temperature also goes from a normal of 190 degrees to 225 degrees on the digital readout. Also sometimes while plowing the engine temperature gauge fluctuates between 210 and 235. Is this normal? I did mentioned it to the local garage and they said as long as no warning lights come on it is OK. Thanks!
  2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Definitely should have put a plow on a V8 truck, whether its a 4.8 or 5.3 WITH plow prep. Way way too much plow for a 4.3 (not sure why one would put a plow on a 4.3 truck), plus it most likely doesn't even have trailer towing with the heavy duty cooling system and auxiliary trans cooler, which the heavy duty cooling isn't even offered on the 4.3, only V8 trucks. There is a reason why they don't even offer plow prep with the 4.3.

Trade it for a VYU plow prep equipped 4.8 or 5.3 truck. You will get the same gas mileage as the dinosaur 4.3 also, maybe even better.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Do tou know that GM will void your warrenty for adding a plow to a truck with no plow prep ?
  4. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Thanks for the information. Looks like I made a bad decision purchasing this truck. The bottom line is I have this truck and must use it for the time being. Having said this I would still like to know if this is an over heating problem or if this is normal for this rig. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!
  5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Overheating is not good for any engine.
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Everybody's jumping on the V6 issue but it would be worth looking at airflow. There are plenty of threads about overheating V8 engines too.

I'd be more worried about the transmission temperature, although that engine temperature isn't going to help anything either...
  7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'm surprised to see that you are having an issue with overheating while plowing......transmission temperature I can believe, an auxiliary cooler will help with that.

Is the engine temperature getting high while actually plowing, and it cools down while driving between jobs, or is it getting hot while driving?

Try keeping your plow as low as possible while driving and see if that helps.....otherwise just replace the radiator with a larger one, and put in an auxiliary transmission cooler, preferably with an electric fan.

The engine size won't affect the trucks pushing ability, now whether that motor came with inferior cooling parts, etc, I can't speak to, but you can replace all those with aftermarket.
  8. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Thanks again for your help guys. I plow one gravel road about 1/4 mile long and 2 driveways off the road about 150' each one is mine and the other is my neighbors. The temperature only rises when I'm plowing or backing up. When driving on the road with the plow on the engine temperature stays at 210 degrees and the transmission temperature about 190 degrees. I've read some Chevy literature that says the coolant temperature will rise under load, but I can't find any information on the transmission temperature. They also say when the coolant temp reaches 260 degrees that this is beyond the working capacity of the cooling system. Not having a lot automotive experience I am quite confused as to what is going on here. I have know idea what the normal coolant and transmission temps should be when the truck is just being driven on the road and what they can safely rise too under load such as plowing. These are the answers I'm looking for before I go to the garage again and discuss it with them. Thanks again!
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It is normal for transmission temp to rise under heavy load, just like engine temp.

Is it 4x4? If so, try plowing in 4LO instead of 4HI. The additional gearing reduction will require less of your transmission.