1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over Heating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Steeley, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Steeley

Steeley Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 2003 GMC 2500 and have Fisher X-Blade and when I travel about 25 miles it sometimes OVER HEATS the temp get about 250 F, when I pull over and stop and leave it running it go's down to 200 F, I have tried the plow every way and have found that it makes no difference. I went to the dealer and they told me that that is normal, and I should not go over 40mph with the plow on. Any Sugestions???????

My tranny also gets 200 F with the plow on just riding not plowing !:yow!: :yow!: :yow!: :yow!:

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Bigger radiator....tranny cooler...electric rad. fan...... Buy a Dodge ?? :eek: Sorry, just had to throw that in :D

I have a hard time with 200-250deg. is normal temp.

3. Fredeboy

Fredeboy Junior Member

overheat

steely, try to bring the plow down low as possible and don't beat on it when you drive. the front end needs to get as much are flow as possible. i have a couple of buddies who have experienced the same problem.

4. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

I have a Chevy 2500HD with the same problem. Even when traveling short distances it would over heat. I now carry the plow in the straight position, as low as I can, so that if there is a dip in the road, it will bounce and send a few sparks. But the temp hasn't reached over 200 degrees since.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I find that on a STRAIGHT blade, that keeping it low and angled is best for airflow. Bucking postion (straight) is:

1) Too wide and rude to other drivers passing by.

2) Blocks airflow. Worse with todays HIGH moldboard plows.

When angled the the leading edge creates a suction bringing air IN towards the grille.

No doubt about it, todays trucks just don't have the grille area that the 70's and 80's trucks had.

6. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

My '02 Chevy 2500 HD has been doing the same. Going up long hills about 25-30mph. The other day I forgot to turn on the heater full blast and open the windows. It got super hot with a red warning light...ENGINE HAS OVERHEATED!! This is the first time I had to stop and let it cool. This happened with a '94 Chevy diesel I had also. With my GMC trucks it never happened. I think that chrome bar across the grill on the Chevy's stops to much air flow with the plow on. ?? Last year I almost drilled some 2" holes in that bar until someone mentioned how much a new grill cost.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I made a scoop that I bolted to the top of the plow to dirrect air to the radiator. It ws 2 foot wide and caught the air coming up from the plow and shoot it to the radiator . I dont have a pic of it or I would post it. It kept the chevt temp right at 200 degrees.
    I couldnt plow with it on it would catch the snow and clog , but I could drive highway speed without overheating.

8. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Overheating Problem

If I were you I would buy a FORD......Just kiddin with ya !!!

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 89 Ford does the same thing if I ride with the plow up and not angled. I keep it about 5 inches off the ground / angled Rt and drive carefully.
    All else fails use the auxiliary cooling system--> Heat / Defroster on high with windows open. My wife asked me why all the snow plow guys she sees plow in shirt shelves with the window open.
    Now she knows.
    Well maybe cause we flog the poor truck for 12 + hours at low speeds pushing weight around parking lots? We burning a weeks worth of gas in 8 hours?
    Rode hard and put away wet. Sorry truck I need some sleep!

10. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

My freinds 2003 Chevy with a fisher blade was doing them same thing brand new. He had to argue with the dealer some because they told him he needed the plow package, he told them it does and the verified by running the vin. The said there was a service bulliten for a new clucth fan. They put the new clutch fan on and the overheating is gone but he said its somewhat louder and his rpms are slightly higher at highway speed, not sure why a different clutch fan would do that.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Now that you mention it, I have heard of this clutch fan as well. What it's doing is coming on sooner (cooler temp) and staying on longer (higher engine rpm). It actually stays engaged at a higher rpm. So at highway speed where MOST clutch fans start to freewheel, this new one stays locked up.

I'd like to have one for my era truck.

12. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I had an overheating problem with one of my older vehicles. I took of the clutch fan and put on a flex fan designed for an RV. That helped bring the numbers down. The same vehicle was used for towing my 30' travel trailer during the summer. It would run warmer than I liked and if there were any slower traffic after a long haul it wouldn't cool well so I added a 14" electric pusher fan with a thermostat in front of the radiator. Worked great

13. silveradoatv

silveradoatv Junior Member

2500 overheating

Is this clutch fan a warranty issue? Should my dealer replace this for free? I have a 02 2500hd and when drivng distances, the tranny and the radiator guages immediately get higher. Will this new clutch fan eleviate both problems?

14. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

As long as you are in your warrenty period and the fan is bad It should be covered.

15. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I have the same problem with my GMC 2003 2500HD. Fisher 8' HD. I also carried a 7.5'. lower moldboard, same problem. My 2000 2500 never did it!(unless you lifted the plow way up). There was thread a while back where someone found out that there was a problem part that the dealer would change (warranty and possibly the clutch). Only problem, none of the dealers apparently know about it (part number or service bulletin), so they just blame the plow. I haven't had time to deal with mine, so I keep the plow lower and angled in on the right. I can run highway speeds for about 5 miles without aproblem, just watch the temp and the height. Tranny temp will get near 200 at times, but engine temp will stay close to normal.

It would be great if we can find the p/n again. Never had the problem with the 2000, and it doesn't seem like the grille is that much different.

16. silveradoatv

silveradoatv Junior Member

I recall the thread you are referring to. It mentioned part #; 22149894 What I would like is the technical service bulletin that the thread also mentioned. My dealer has not heard of it.

17. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Had the same problem on my 2003 1 ton. Brought it to my dealer and there IS a service bulliten on it, they replaced the fan and a few other things and I have had no problems since.

18. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a '02 2500HD doing the same thing at highway speeds, tranny and engine temp go way up.

scholzee,

Can you find out more about this service bulletin? Looks like it would help a lot of folks out there.

Thanks,

Joel B.

19. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

gentlemen,
    as stated above there is a t.s.b. for this problem..go to your dealer and tell them of the problem..they will replace your clutch fan under warranty..i had mine done last year..buddy of mine is a chevy dealer mechanic,had it fixed in 20 mins..if your out of warranty im not sure they`ll do it for free..

20. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a '02 2500HD doing the same thing at highway speeds, tranny and engine temp go way up.

scholzee,

Can you find out more about this service bulletin? Looks like it would help a lot of folks out there.

Thanks,

Joel B.