1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over heating with plow on 04 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikesLawns, Feb 7, 2007.

1. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

I have a 3500 rack body dump with a 9' Fisher MM. It used to run hot on the highway only, but now it seems to be worse just going down the road for a couple miles. I have a rubber snow foil on the top and a new cutting edge on the bottom. That's the only thing I'm thinking is the cutting edge is restricting the air flow down below. My 99 2500 doesn't have this problem at all. I have a 8 1/2 plow on that. I changed the coolant this year also. Thanks for your imput.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It couldbe your fan clutch is bad. There is a TSB out about to low of a fan clutch. Need to replace with a heavy duty fan clutch. Your dealer may know about it
  3. Anyone got a copy of TSB? Is it strickly gas or diesel related?
  4. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

hey man sydenstricker is right had the same problem on my chevy 05HD it was overheating with the plow on so the chevy dealership solved the problem by putting a heavy duty fan clutch and assembly and they reprogrammed the computer for the fan to come on more often when the plow is on it fix the problem 100 % the only thing is it makes the engine sound alittle louder then normal and the truck uses alittle more gas than normal.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the thread with the TSB I posted before.It's the newst one I've found but their could be an update to cover the 8.1's too...
  6. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Thanks guys

I'm going to the dealer Monday AM that;s the earliest they can get me in.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know how you make out with the dealer. :)
  8. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Fan Clutch

I wanted to see if i had the heavy duty fan the clutch before i brought mine in and i called the dealer and the heavy duty fan clutch has a diameter of 6 1/2 inches and the regular one has a diameter of 7 inches.
  9. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

All fixed

Thanks for the info. Just got my truck back and they installed the heavy duty clutch fan.# 22149894 clutch J3390 clutch assembly. N/C under warranty.
  10. pajama01504

pajama01504 Junior Member
    from MA

You have to run with the blade angled....a straight blade will overheat the engine at highway speed....
  11. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

over temp

sorry to disapont, but it does not matter what angle u have your plow. the new fan clutch will make a diffrence but you still need to watch your plow position and temp. i had mine done on a 03 silverdao 3500 dump....just the way the front end is there is limited air access to radiator...try a aftermarket grill, but just watch your temp gauge..
  12. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

With the old K5, I run with the plow low and angled and I don't run hot, with it up high, I can watch the temp gauge climb.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have never had this problem with my dirty max diesel. When I picked up my plow it was about 90 and it never got passed 200.