1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over heating problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hortboy, Sep 1, 2003.

1. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

guys this topic may be redundant but I need help.

I purchased a 79 ford f250 w/ a plow and I have to drive it 4 hours away. I tried last week and it ran fine at low speeds actually sat in traffic for 10 mins no problem. but once I get up over 45 to 50 mph the thing over heats quick.

I have the plow on the front now only because I don't have the means to remove till I get home.

I did pull the thermostat and didn't help?

What to do?????

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

This is only happening with the plow on and raised fully? If so, the plow is whats making it overheat. This is very common. The plow blocks all the air from going through the front grillwork. When traveling with the plow on, especially on highways, keep the plow raised just high enough so it doesnt bang the ground over a bump or dip in the road and low enough to allow air to the grillwork, so air can get to the radiator. You say sitting still is fine, so Im gonna assume its only driving around with the plow on. Welcome to PlowSite! :waving: Mike

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I agree,it's probably just the plow blocking the airflow.It will run a little cooler in the winter,as it's much colder.

4. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

My Dak would over heat on the highway no matter if the plow was high or low. The turbulence over the plow was to great to compensate. So after playing a little i found angleing the blade and about a foot off the ground was perfect. Just play with it going down the road. You'll find the best position.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My dads 2001 chevy has the same problem. While you are driving down the road lower the blade just enough so it dont hit the ground but so it dont fully block the grill.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had a Chevy with the same problem and found that if I ran with the blade at full angle it cooled down.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have to drive it all the way home,find some way to get the plow in the back of the truck.Even a tow truck could lift it in for a few bucks.Will make the drive home much easier.Make sure it's properly secured back there.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I remember your thread now about this purchase. I agree with Chris, it's best to transport that distance in the bed, it will be a lot safer too!