1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over heating on highway

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MItoplock, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MItoplock

MItoplock Junior Member

I have a 1987 Ford F-150 with a plow. The problem is when I go about 5 miles at highway speeds it starts to over heat. I've tried to angle the plow different ways and different heights. I've put in a 180 thermostat in. And I have even tightened the clutch on the fan tighter. I need to find a way to run down the highway. I have seen some air deflectors but no link where I can get one. Anybody have ideas on how to get it to run cooler with the plow? And yes it runs just fine without the plow on.

2. Overheats With Plow On

I had a 91 Bronco that was undriveable over 30 MPH with the plow on. The only way I was able to drive it was with the plow 2" off of the ground. All mid 80's to mid 90's F series trucks had that problem.

RON​

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well just remove clutch on fan and just mount fan to pulley so no more clutch then fan will stay all time spin.

What I heard that truck with snowplow must not use on highway because that heat and too danger to drive with weight on front. They want driver go at 40 mph that it.

4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Yea, what Milwaukee said!!!

5. MItoplock

MItoplock Junior Member

Ok, remove the clutch it is. That was what I was thinking. Now I just need to find a spacer kit to do it. Thanks for the input.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

just cut a door in the middle of your plow . go on the highway open the door get off close the door

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Replace the fan clutch and fan blade if it's rusted bad. Make sure you get the correct direction of rotation fan blade. Having the fan engaged all the time will eat into your gas mileage. I did mine on my 89 and it made a world of difference. Make sure all your fins on the radiator, trans cooler and A/C condenser are open and not bent or blocked. Overheating, is this a new issue or old? Drive with the plow low and rt angled is what the Meyer install guide says.

8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member