1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Over Heating Issue Need Help QUICK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Nov 6, 2007.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Any help will be helpful. I posted this on ford-trucks and no one knows. So I will copy and paste what I said over there. I have gone through 2 BRAND NEW thermastats so. If anyone has an idea or the same thing happend to you please please let me know.

All right going back to a problem I have been having. I have had a skip on cylinder one on startup in the morning or after it sat long enough for it to cool down. When it was started it ran rough and skipped for about a minute. So I knew i had a intake gasket problem so I bought some bars leak and dumped it in the top radiator hose. By the way I was going to do the intake gasket this weekend. It stopped the misfire on cyl. 1. Now the truck over heats. I can run it with the radiator cap on loose. Loose meaning held on by one thread. If i tighten the radiator cap it will heat up and shut off becuase the censor. I put a new thermostate in it did nothing. I need ideas quick before my cap blows off and goes into the fan. ANY HELP QUICK WOULD BE VERY VERY HELPFUL!!!!!

I flushed the system cleaned the expansion tank from the gunk. And it is still doing it. But it only does it when it is in gear. Any ideas.

And I lose heat when it is in gear. Hot air goes in and out.

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

O and its a 2003 Ford F-250 Ext. Cab 5.4 V8

3. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

It sounds to me like your losing water and getting hot air in there. are you having to add any water? also make sure that your water pump is working, i.e. the shaft is not broke off inside or anything like that.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

If it was a broken shaft int he water pump it would constantly over heat I would think. I can go for about a mile till it over heats. and yes I have to constantly add water. only does it in gear. It will run without the thermastate but it just wont get to the temperature. I can drive it without overheating with the thermastate out. Any new ideas?

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might consider a blown head gasket. Pull the spark plugs and look at them. Is it blowing white smoke at times? A bad head gasket can pressurize the water jacket and not let the coolant circulate right. By leaving the cap open it can vent more volume of gasses then just through the pressure relief on the cap. Rev it up when hot and see if a hose is collapsing. If it's got a lot of miles on it the water pump may be shot.

6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly....possibly a crack between cylinders also. Most likely gasket and hopefully didn't warp head.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I am a mechanic. But the way this engine is set and how high the truck is. I got a quote for $650 with materials to do it all. Gonna let him do it. So the leaky exhaust manifold I was going to do this weekend and the back intake gasket will get fixed for $650 also so I am happy.

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Just curious... if you're a mechanic, why are you asking what's wrong with your truck on here?

9. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I had the exact same issue with my dodge durango it turns out there were 2 hair line cracks in the cylander walls #8 and # 7 luckly mine was under warranty hope this helps.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just curious... if you're a mechanic, why are you asking what's wrong with your truck on here?
    Have you ever ran into a problem you couldn't figure out? Give the guy a break.

The only stupid question.....is the one you DON"T ask.
    Repo-Man....you sure don't have a problem asking for help it seems.

Glad you are getting it fixed and got help to figure it all out eatmytailpipes.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Ya thanks for sticking up. I don't know everything. NONE OF US DOOO! And if you think your special and you do well then forget it

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Even Doctors have to talk to other Doctors to figure out problems. You figure the new generation of mechanics never seen points, adjusted timing or set dwell on a car.
    So he may not have anyone to ask about cooling problems beyond what he has done.

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I am not the person that does the deep engine crap . I do regualer maintence. car detailing. I had a 2000 chevy 3500 dually diesel with 245kmi on it and it ran good.

14. hydro_37

from iowa

Keep your head held high tailpipes. You WILL get help on it. Some people just don't know when to keep their rude comments to themselves. :nono:

15. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

If you were a "mechanic" bars leaks wouldent have been a option. Im sure your intake gasket did not fix your "skip" in the morning. Working as a Tech for Ford for many years I have never ever replaced a faulty intake gasket on a 5.4 or 4.6. It sounds to me like you need to put your tools away and let someone who has a clue fix your truck

16. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

well you got your wish. I am paying someone to fix it i dropped it off last night. and by the way a ford mechanic told me to try bars leak so ya.

17. KATTRANSPORT

No true Ford technician would ever recommend any type of bars leak. A smart tech would rather FIX the problem then create another one ( which looks like you did). So if you are a mechanic why did you take it to someone else. Are you tired of throwing DARTS

18. KATTRANSPORT

P S , I think you should get yourself a infra red gun and start beeming that radiator etc. You will soon find the clog where your bars leak is

19. hydro_37

from iowa

There are just as many "Ford techs" out there that are "less then adequate" as there are decent ones. I have personally seen and talked to a few of the "less the adequate" ones. Tailpipes....glad you are getting it fixed. let us know how it all turns out.

20. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Well I will know by friday or saturday afternoon when I am getting it back. He is going to have the heads checked at a machine shop to make sure of no cracks or anything. But here is the last that I will see my truck for an entire week. Kinda makes me mad because I can't stand driving cars. I like big gas suckers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007