1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

over heating chevy 2500hd

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by concrete11, Jan 30, 2011.

1. concrete11

concrete11 Junior Member
    from mass.

hey guys, i have a 2004 chevy 2500 hd series pick-up ... the problem i have is even driving across town with the plow on, it seems to heat up, tranny goes way above normal and engine goes up quick... to the point where its almost red lined , so i have to stop. this driving in either in 4wd or 2wd. now without plow on never a problem. fluid levels are fine in bucket. i have tried height adjustments and tilted the blade , nothing seems to matter. some folks say change thermastat to a lower one to open faster, others say fan clutch...... need more advise
  2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Had the same problem with my truck a few years ago.....B&B solved the problem for me...go to pep boys or a auto store, get a hd or extream clutch fan...ur going to need the wrench to get the fan clutch off....i believe you can rent it from the store....but i ended up buying it...solved my problems
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Had the same problem with all of the chevys and GMC's if they dont have the plow prep package. You need to change the fan clutch. You can get on from Napa for like $53. I has worked everytime for me.

Do a search on the topic and you will find pages of info on the overheating fixes.
  4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

if you don't want to buy a clutch fan turn your blade to the right and put the heat on
  5. concrete11

concrete11 Junior Member
    from mass.

thx guys.........