1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

over filled engine oil, amd I wrong here.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Jan 21, 2009.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

So, new truck(new to me), brought in for an oil change last night, home and parked. Today on the highway at about 8 miles I get a LOUD rapping noise off the top of the engine...a sound I recognize as a lack of lubrication. I park and find the oil 3-4" above the max fill line....am I wrong that this would be the cause? Damage after 20 miles of this? after I saw that I drove slow, back roads home with no noise(noise only at high engine revs for prolonged periods). I'm, about to bring it back and have a "discussion" with them about it,

2. starc

starc Senior Member

Either too much oil or something else leaked into the oil to raise the level....
    I usually run an extra quart in my truck without any problem.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

too much oil

it can get foam whip due crankshaft stir oil. possible damaging little.

4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

well 5 quarts of oil plus a large bottle of high mileage additive...I'd say these guys really paid no attention to anything, after wining that I was there near closing besides. It's going down in the morning. The question is should be it be drained completely and re-filled with new or just drained down?

5. Milwaukee

that would be 6 qt that should be ok. What year and truck plus engine.

what kind oil high mileage additive? Lucas? Those are very thick oil and in winter it act like solid.

you bring to oil change shop?

That reason I stay away.

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

refill it,
    if it went to foam than the minerals are gone

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I do everything myself, but it was late and cold and it was the only thing I had not done yet so I figured for $25 they could do it. The report states 5 quarts, then the additive, but it's 3" up the stick from the max line so it looks to be more than a quart over to me. They also did my tire pressure without a gauge, so I had bad feeling, but the oil was already drained so I was a bit stuck with it.

8. Milwaukee

What kind truck and year plus engine we need know

What kind additive they put? Did it say brand? Lucas or restore engine?

What oil weight they put in there?

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

1995 chevy 2500 (8600gvw) 5.7

10w30
    Additive brand unknown. High mileage additive.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Make them change everything again at their cost. Include the filter. If you paid for it once, and they screwed it up then they can pay for it this time.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

No way I would go back there. They can't even change oil or check tire pressure. Run the other way.

12. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I'm going back at 8am to get this resolved. hey can either fix it or deal with the lawsuit that will follow..the courthouse is 1/4 mile from there and I have the time to file tomorrow as well. Yes, I'd sure over the cost of the oil change out of principle.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure it has the right dipstick in it? I guess I would bring it back and have them do it again.

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

pretty sure... I've put 1,000 miles on the truck in the last 2 weeks and the problem started literally 8 miles after the oil change and then to see it this far up the stick besides makes it suspect.

15. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i normally run 5 or 6 quarts in my 350 only cause when im plowing lot of reving up and idling. bring it back, it sounds like they put 7 maybe 8. cause min is just above the fill line on my dip stick after i prime the filer. take back in and demand them to fix it and you want to watch only one guy do it all!

16. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

am back with it...They tried to say it's only a half over. That the entire operating range on the stick is only 1/2 quart. Not buying it.

17. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would make them drain it out in a clean pan and re-measure it. Then watch them like a hawk as they fix the problem.

18. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Sure they even pulled the plug the first time? Sounds like the just dumped 6 quarts in it and shipped it.

3 or 4 inches past the full mark is mega overfull, not just a half quart.

19. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Sounds like what mike said they didn't drain old oil. or you have a coolant leak internally.

20. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

That's one of the problems you run in to at those lube & screw joints. Most of the guys there couldn't tell a roller cam from a roller skate, much less do an oil change the right way.

We had a guy working at our shop (very briefy I might add) that pulled that stunt. Brought an F250 in for an oil change, and after he backed it out and turned the ticket in the service manager asked him how many quarts of oil it took. He replied 4 1/2. Knowing darn well that those trucks hold 6+ quarts I grabbed the keys and brought it back in to double check the oil level. Had to be 3-4" above the full mark. Moron never pulled the plug, just a new filter, filler up and ship it.