1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Outside Temperature Reading

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lesedwards, Jan 6, 2010.

1. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

I have a 2004 GMC 2500 with a Boss 8'-2" Poly V Blade. As soon as I hook up to the blade my outside temperature gauge on my rear view mirror goes all wacky. For instance last night we where out plowing and it was -6 and my temperature gauge said +3 I keep a snow log and when I put in the temperature outside I have to keep going to my Blackberry for the answer. Anyone have this problem or might have an idea of what is wrong. I look forward to your replies.

PLOWINHD Member

when your plow is on you've got less than normal air getting to your radiator area where I assume the sensor is located, more engine heat remains near the sensor and throws your reading off, I think..
  3. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

When the plow is on it actually sucks warm air back out the grill, which is where most temp sensors are at. Mine reads 50 degrees most of the time.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's normal and no indication of a problem. Just ignore the readings when the plow is attached.
  5. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Temp Sensor

Is there anyway of moving the sensor so it does read correct?
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

you could get a pavement temp monitor.....it was 111* this afternoon when i was on the expressway, i was thinking the snow should be melting at that temp, but its stickin, pavement must be cold.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never found moving the sensor to be too effective with a plow on. The wire leads are not all that long so your options are limited without lengthening them. And it needs to be a long way from where it's mounted stock as the plow disrupts airflow around the entire front area of the truck. Easier to just ignore the readings...