1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Outside temperature indication

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by melbplow, Feb 10, 2016.

1. melbplow

melbplow Junior Member

I bought a fisher HT plow for my 2010 Silverado LT this winter. when the plow is mounted and I am travelling between my rentals I noticed that the outside temperature indication will start to rise. If the temp outside is -15 C by the time I get to the my first rental the temp will indicate 45 or 50 C, which affects the climate control in the cab. Anybody else having this kind of problem?

tymusic

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yeah, most of us have had this problem on GM trucks.

A common fix is to run the heat not on auto

3. melbplow

melbplow Junior Member

4. doh

doh Senior Member

Try relocating the OAT (Outside Air Temp) sensor. Usually located right in front of the rad.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yet another brilliant idea by some stupid engineer.........a computer telling you what temp air you want.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Why would the outside air temp affect the interior climate control in the vehicle?

7. Philbilly2

It does on my truck if I have the temp setting on auto. It uses a cabin sensor and the outside air temp and runs some type of calculation to achive desired cabin temp.

I have always just kicked it off auto on my trucks with the plow attached and ran it at 90 degrees full blast hot on the defrog and rolled the window down.

Never had the problem on a manual heat truck... but I also don't think any of my manual heat trucks have had an outside air temp sensor to come to think of it...

8. Mark Oomkes

Because engineers are DA's.

9. Philbilly2

Well put...

Screenshot952015-12-31-14-33-51-11.jpg

10. Mark Oomkes

Present company excepted....of course. Thumbs Up

Why would they put traction control on a 4WD vehicle that goes off road and\or plows snow?

Why would they put a POS engine like the 6.0 in Fords?

Why did they use crappy steel for oil pans in the 7.3s, not use a gasket and design it so the engine has to be removed to replace the rusted out oil pan?

Would you like me to go on?

11. Mark Oomkes

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

12. Philbilly2

We have that on the wall in my shop as this is very typical in my line of construction.

We have these engineers that design these buildings and spec these products that have been proven to cause callbacks and fail prematurely. You present them with the better, even sometimes more expensive product knowing that it will reduce the amount of labor involved with the project and provide the customer with a far superior product.

These fresh out of college, never worked a day in there life reject it and say it is not approved. :angry:

So you are forced to install junk, then when the customer asks why 2 years out the building is falling apart, all you can do is show them this picture....

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

As long as it looks good on paper... that's all that matters anymore apparently

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ok..... I guess, still don't understand the correlation between ootside temp and maintaining cab temp. Must be a EE at Delphi brainchild.....
    None of my pickups have auto temp and only one has a OTG.

IMO there's theoretical and practical Engineers Theoretical are over educated idiots that have zero practical or vocational experience (the nerd chick in the pic). Practical on the other hand do have "real life" practical and vocational experience and rely on it more than what's learned in a class or lab.

15. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Here's my thought on the how/why...

Let's say I want the inside temp to be 72 degrees. The air temp coming out of the vents would need to be much hotter if the outside temp was 20 degrees than 65 degrees. So the blend door (or whatever is used) would need to be adjusted to have more airflow from the heater core than the outside.

So in a sense, the logic is somewhat justified. But it seems like they did not put enough weight on the internal temp sensor in the logic. And of course, they put the outside temp sensor in a bad location.

16. Yes, a plow will mess up your OAT sensor, and it also affects your IAT (engine intake air temperature) sensor. The plow acts like a winter front cover.