1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Outside Temp Reading and Hot Tranny

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lundman, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Lundman

Lundman Junior Member

I just put a 760 Straight Blade on my 2002 2500HD w/DMAX & Allison.
    I have noticed two problems.

Problem #1. The outside temp display on my rear view mirror will not read correctly after the plow was installed. When the truck is first started it will read correctly. Then it will slowly start reading higher temperatures. It will read 20-30 deg F higher than what the outside temperature actually is!! Typically the ouside temp is 30 deg F. Then sometimes it will jump to 95 deg F. Just today I got the temp display to change its reading by moving the plow while driving down the road. Has anyone had similar experiences to this with a Blizzard plow and a Chevy truck?

Problem #2: When I drive down the highway at 70 mph the transmission will slowly heat up to 190-200 deg F. It will take about 30 miles of continuous driving to get to this condition. The outside temp is between 25-35 deg F. Without the plow, the transmission will rarely get to 140 deg F. I would not expect the Allison transmission to get this hot with no load on it. The blade position does not seem to have an affect on this problem. I have completely removed the plastic air foil below the bumper. (did not want to have it cut for the truck side mounting). Also I am not using the vinyl grill covers supplied by GM for this truck. I am not using any airfoil on the blade. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Well I think your problem may be that your driving around with your plow fully raised. The plow pretty much blocks all air flow to the radiator, tranny cooler, oil cooler and p/s cooler. The outside air temp sensor is also under the hood, so heat from the engine is making it read higher than it is. The temp. gauge goes up to the middle on my Ram if the plows raised all the way. When I drive I keep my plow as low as possible(about 1 inch off the ground). Really keeps the temps. down.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree, all good tips/

Problem #2: When I drive down the highway at 70 mph the transmission will slowly heat up to 190-200 deg F. It will take about 30 miles of continuous driving to get to this condition. The outside temp is between 25-35 deg F. Without the plow, the transmission will rarely get to 140 deg F. I would not expect the Allison transmission to get this hot with no load on it. The blade position does not seem to have an affect on this problem.

Why are you driving around at 70mph with the plow on ?
    The plow is blocking the air flow across your coolers. The faster you go the hotter every thing will get.
    Slow down, lower the plow and try angeling it a little too.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Blizzard has a air scoop option for their plows . It will eliminate all your cooling problems. I made my own , I copied from a Blizzard photo, for my Jeep that has a Meyer plow.

5. yes

ALL.....and i mean ALL of my friends that have new hd's with the temp thing that is off. I think that the temp sensors is under the bumper or somthing and with the plow on there is no airflow there and thereford it gets hot cause of the plow! I dont know though......just dont worry about it, I prolly know 6guys with the same problem, INCLUDING me!

6. Lundman

Lundman Junior Member

Thanks for the input from all who posted. Now I now it is just because of the airflow over the blade. I was a bit worried at first becasue I read some postings about Blizzard installations that were not done quite right, which caused grief for their customers. I thought my tranny getting warm might be caused by some installation error or oversite.

I called the Blizzard dealer and the airfoil is $140. I will definitely put the airfoil on because I hope to drive up to my cabin up north and be able to plow it out. Depending on how well it cools, I hope to drive to the Upper Pennisula with my 29" 5th wheel to go deer hunting. You can be up there deer hunting and easily wake up to 12" of snow. It would be much easier to plow out snow than to try and drag a 29' 5th wheel thru it to get out.

This is just another example of how this web site provides information to people who have plows. This is a great site.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Dont worry about the temp being off. The sensor is behind the grill infront of the radiator a bit to the driver side. Any plow or running around with the winter front will cause this.

Dont worry about an airfoil ect. Its not that hot and I wouldnt worry about it. I would change your fluid every year or switch to synthetic(either transdyne or mobil 1) Mike L does have a trans cooler for the allison equiped trucks. His # is 310 674 4400. Also a stock allison deep pan(spamed steel, allison part) can be had for cheap and isnt a bad idea either. Try to use tow hauld mode as much as possible. This casues the converter to lock much sooner and keeps temps down while plowing and around town. Traveling at 70 makes it hard to get rid of heat and you are going to be stuck running warm. 200 isnt killer though especially if you dump your fluid regularly or run synthetic.

Also dont forget to change your spin on trans filter and dont forget about the filter magnet on the top of it(or it may stick to the trans)

8. ratlover

from IL

hey lundman......why dont you have your PM's turned on?

9. Lundman

Lundman Junior Member

Novice User here. PM's?

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Dont forget that your tranny cooler is on your drivers side. if you keep your plow tilted to the right you will do much better keeping the tranny cool. I haven't any troubles since I started doing this.

11. ratlover

from IL

You can see the trans cooler. Its in the middle of the grill right behind the chevy emblem. Its the cooler that in the front of all the other stuff like radiator CAC and air conditioning condenser ect. You have a cooler in your radiator and an external cooler. The external is up front of the stack behind the bowtie

private messages. they are like emails that are used on this site. Either they dont allow new users to get them :rolleyes: or you have yours turned off. The option to turn em on if you can is in the user controll pannel.

Having a blade angled left or right can help get more air to the radiator. Some find this works, some lower thier blade a bit.

There are also "scoops" that are made for the trans cooler itself on the chevys that funnle more air into the trans cooler.

12. 25 posts will allow you to PM (or 30) i cant remember!

13. ratlover

from IL

drop me a line some time to rat_lover @ sbcglobal. net I will zap you some info on some stuff to keep your allison running better

14. Lundman

Lundman Junior Member

Well I installed the Blizzard air foil. Drilled two 3/8" holes and mounted the air foil. It only took 10-15 minutes. The total cost (air foil, tax and shipping) was $120. Alot of money, but I do not have the time to fabricate one.

I test drove it to work today, 35 miles one way with the outside temp at 35 deg F. The transmission temperature only got to 130 deg F. The engine temp went to 190 deg F like it should. The outside temperature indicator read properly. Essentially all the temperatures were just where they would be as if I did not have the plow on at all.

It did not seem to matter if the plow was halfway up or all the way up. This seems like a no brainer. Why don't all plow manufacturers offer this as option.