1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Outside deicer storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jevans, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jevans

jevans Junior Member

We are a 24/7/365 nursing home/retirement community. We need to keep containers of deicing material by each entrance and emergency exit during the winter months. Looking for a good, air/water tight container to use. Anyone doing anything similar? These containers sit outside during the season.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to just look into resealable 5 gallon buckets. We have these at my work, they work OK but I think nothing will be completely water tight
  3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

How about this? Might be more $$$ than you want to spend, but they are purpose built, so I'm sure the inside stays dry. Throw some salt in them and an ice scoop on top and you're all set.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

5. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Garbage can on wheels with a lid.
  6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

5 gallon pails. I actually buy all my ice melt in 5 gallon pails. I get it at Sam's Club, $20 per pail, 50 pounds of straight calcium chloride. Garbage cans don't look so nice, ice melt pails don't look so bad.
  7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Unfortunately, in this day and age, I would want it in something big (heavy) enough that it didn't find its way into the trunk of someone's car to go home and end up on their driveway instead of my clients walks.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I didn't even think of that honestly. I rarely leave any onsite for customers, they look at my price to leave it and just get their own, but that's a good and sad point....

If you have issues at your nursing home with theft/vandalism get garbage cans without wheels. Heavy and hard to move means heavy and hard to steal.
  9. mr.lawn works

mr.lawn works Member

10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

At every entrance of the apartment buildings and businesses. This one is beat up and at a rear entrance.

11. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I use 5 gallon buckets with a screw on lid I bought at home depot. It snaps on the bucket and the top spins off easy. It has an o-ring seal and are water and air tight. Best 7 bucks I spent to keep my calcium dry at jobs and on the back of the trucks.