1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Outfitting a Lawn Tractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pheasantfarmer, Nov 26, 2009.

1. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

Hey All, i have been trying to search for this on the forum and have also look in the ATV section.

I have a few questions: I am outfitting a 20 horsepower lawn tractor with a 2 stage snow-blower on it for snow removal. What do you all think i should put on it. I will be using it on a few residential driveways. The head lights on the tractor are just stock and are horrible and the rear taillights are also just stock and red and horrible.

I am thinking I need an overhead becon of some sort and maybe a light on the back and a light or 2 on the front pointed up front and off to the sides a little to see were the snow is being blown to....

so should i do that or what are some better ideas. Also what lights should i use for the beacon, backup and head/working lights??? I would like the least amount of use of the battery, so should i use the another battery to that i charge on a battery charger when i am at home, instead of off the tractor. Also can i just go buy a regular becon and how do i wire it in or what??

Thanks for the help and suggestions, if you guys have a completly better plan let me now!
  2. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

A battery powered light might be alright for the back. Seen farmers use these on back of wagons, etc. I've seen the LED version with many LED's though.

Since your dealing with a small lawn tractor you are probably limited in adding much beyond what this tractor already came with for light drain. These little engines don't have an alternator like an automobile. They use something more simple like a stator. However, if you want a little beacon on there you could run a little Whelen single LED beacon. The LED is tiny and minimal current drain. If you have access to a Northern Tool they carry these in the store. Available in magnetic or non magnetic. You might have to fabricate a pipe to put this on.
    non magnetic

These have cigarette lighter with a switch on it. You can either add a cig. lighter receptacle to your mower (auto stores) or cut it off and hardwire with your own switch. 2 wires involved. 12v+ & 12v-. Go direct to your battery.

If you've never done this before find a friend who has some wiring skills. Even someone who has installed a car stereo before.

Depending on your operating environment. You could add an implement SMV sign to the back also.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009